1960 14CS front wheel spacer/ Tool box mount/ Tank colour

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
mattward

1960 14CS front wheel spacer/ Tool box mount/ Tank colour

Post by mattward »

Hi Folks,

Still at stock-taking stage of the build of the 14CS and have found a query that pictures I can find don't seem to answer. On the opposite side (non-nut) to the brake hub on my front wheel, there are two locking nuts but no cap or spacer is this correct? Or should there be a spacer/cap to prevent the potential rubbing of the nuts on the side of the base of the slider? The link below shows what I have. I could not make much sense of the parts list, and I have not managed to find an exploded diagram of this hub yet.

https://www.feked.com/ajs-matchless-fro ... -drum.html (scroll accross to 9th pic)

I have an original toolbox for the bike but it has been slightly modified by PO. He has welded on an extra tab and fitted it under the seat... From what I can tell it should be in the void below the carb. I have a question about how that might be fixed to the bracket or cover. Should it be with bent tabs as shown in the Mecum example, or on short tabs to the motor/gearbox mount stud as shown in the 1959 example?

And last but not least, can anyone help me with what the tank should look like as far as colour and pinstripes etc. The tank I have has holes for the plastic AJS motif badge as shown in the Mecum example so I am presuming it is likely correct, any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.

Aside from the questions above I just realised last night when looking over the rear wheel, that the PO has fitted a 50T sprocket in replacement of the stated 70T sprocket... this might make it really fast on the road ... :rofl:

I realise these beasts are quitr rare so maybe there are no answers to my queries, but any comments, thoughts or pics would be very much appreciated, thanks again in advance...

Matt Ward

1960 14CS
1961 8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Jarrett

Re: 1960 14CS front wheel spacer/ Tool box mount/ Tank colour

Post by John Jarrett »

Matt,
The mounting with bent tabs on the cover is correct.
The scrambles rear sprocket is very large and makes the bike very low geared. The smaller sprocket was optional for road use and will make the gearing more appropriate for road use.
The front brake for a 14CS is the same as a 1953 road hub and the diagram for a single sided hub will give you the information you need. I couldn't immediately follow what you were saying about the spacers etc. Look in the following website for the manuals and spares lists... there is a wealth of information.
http://archives.jampot.dk/
Hope that's a start for you.
John
mattward

Re: 1960 14CS front wheel spacer/ Tool box mount/ Tank colour

Post by mattward »

Hi John, Thanks very much for confirming the toolbox mount situation, I think the PO fancied himself as a bit of a welder so there are a few other things I need to undo as well as these mounts.

Also thank you for the heads up on the hubs being the same as earlier models, it seems obvious now as the forks are also borrowed from an earlier time. I have not yet found a diagram of a complete hub but the semi-exploded ones from the parts books are helpful. It would appear that no spacer is required. the two locking nuts remain exposed and the nutless side of the spindle is just clamped firmly by the bottom cap of the slider.

As far as colour goes I found, the document "AMC Paint codes", so I presume the '1958-1960 (?) AJS Light Blue (Mediterranean Blue)' might be an option, hard to tell what that looks like without an example in front of you of course.

Ah, well I will soldier on with my baskets until another mystery arises... inevitably =)

Cheers
Matt
1960 14CS
1961 8