Speedo cable drive end

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Dubbsy

Speedo cable drive end

Post by Dubbsy »

Hi,
Could someone advise what actually secures the speedo cable drive end piece into the speedo gearbox on the rear wheel. My cable can easily be pulled out of the drive box on the rear wheel exposing the helical gear on the end of the cable. I can't find any details in the workshop manual.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Speedo cable drive end

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I know now't about L/W's but there's an earlier post by Steve Surbey (of AMC Classic Spares) who wrote:

Smiths list the DF1110/22 cables for the Lightweight SN speedos, exactly the same as the Heavyweight Chronometrics apart from the length. When AMC switched to the true magnetic SSM2001 speedos for the Lightweights in 1964, they changed the cable type to DF9110/00, same as the Heavyweight magnetic cable. So I'm standing by the Chronometric/Magnetic speedo distinction for Lightweight cables.

This is a DF9110/00..........The club spares shop is currently out of stock but they were due in last month.

Speedo end
Cable speedo DF9110 slash 00 end.jpg

Wheel end
Cable speedo DF9110 slash 00 end.jpg

(Feked's website lists it for Nortons and will probably be a different length from yours).
See here:

https://www.feked.com/671-2-magnetic-sp ... oured.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

Thanks, but it doesn't really answer my questions, i.e I wasn't looking to buy a cable I was asking how it is held in place.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It just screws in place with the hexagonal nut. Is part of the speedo gearbox pulling away to expose the helical gear? The part I think is crimped to the speedo gearbox with 2 tags.
Dave.
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

Hi Dave , yes the part that the cable screws into is pulling away from the gearbox exposing the worm / helical drive gear. I can push it back in and it located all ok, but nothing seems to hold it in place.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Dubbsy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:07 pm Thanks, but it doesn't really answer my questions, i.e I wasn't looking to buy a cable I was asking how it is held in place.
Ah. I did think it a strange question as cable ends are pretty fool-proof. :oops:
A photo might help.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Dubbsy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:18 pm Hi Dave , yes the part that the cable screws into is pulling away from the gearbox exposing the worm / helical drive gear. I can push it back in and it located all ok, but nothing seems to hold it in place.
sounds as though the drivebox is faulty
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Simple answer is the gearbox is knackered!
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

Thanks everyone, the speedo gearbox is actually fine, it was working immediately before.
I've sorted it now. FYI.. the helical drive section that the cable screws into is an interference fit into the gearbox, it has a serrated section ( see pic). This had worked loose. So a couple of centre punch marks to create a tight refit worked a treat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

You can see from the pictures that the brass end cap should be an interference fit in the housing with a tab to stop it turning , options are replace with a new one or loctite and pin this one in position ( not the best solution)