66 CSR piston

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Dubbsy

66 CSR piston

Post by Dubbsy »

Hi, in process of a top end rebuild, I'm pretty certain my piston is standard, looking at the ID number of 034646 on the crown and H mark. The LW supplement in archives is a slightly blurred on this part number.
Just wondering if based on the pics attached anyone can confirm if it's standard as I will be fitting new rings. PS what is the other mark of F66 related to ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Red Gauntlet

Re: 66 CSR piston

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Std High compression, F66 is June '66 date stamp. I did an apprenticeship at Wellworthy many moons ago.
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

Great many thanks, now to find a set of std piston rings !!. Is this something amoc parts are likely to stock
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Thorntons or Cox and Turner,
Dave.
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

Thanks Dave, i was searching the AMOC parts list and all it keeps showing is std ring - Only for Gandini pistons ? is the one i have Gandini or something else, i,e one that AMOC parts dont have ?
Ta Dave
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yours is an original BHB (lucky boy!) Cox and Turner will know and may have some in stock. If not they will make them, quickly too. Many recommendations on here.
Dave.
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

Thanks, I've sent them a mail, ps what's a BHB ?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It's the manufacturer of your piston, it's stamped on the crown in a circle.
Dave.
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

BHB pistons were "Automotive Engineering LTD." of Twickenham, Middlesex. BHB are the initials of 3 engineers who had some involvement in the design of self adjusting pistons made from specially formulated alloys.
Oh, and I think the Gandini rings will fit, they certainly do in the G5 engine piston.
Max
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

Thanks Max, would you or anyone know if rings for the CSR 9.5:1 comp engine that i have are the same as the standard ones, i.e are the high comp pistons using a unique set of rings. also if the Gandini rings are actaully useable in this engine, again I would be keen to hear if anyone has used them.
Many thanks
DAve