G2 rocker cover removal

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Lawries

G2 rocker cover removal

Post by Lawries »

Hi folks, a first post from me.
I am totally new to AMC but have rebuilt other machines in the past.
Fairly recently purchased a model 14 (with G2 engine) which has a copious oil leak from the front of the rocker cover.
A significant amount (~5mm) of gasket material is projecting forwards out of the head/rocker joint so I decided to replace the gasket. Easy right?
Well to my surprise the two central bolts (head steady) can't be removed because they foul the frame rail. The manual talks of raising the right side of the rocker cover to remove the push rods. It seems unlikely to me that doing this would provide enough angle for the central bolts to be withdrawn? Surely it is not necessary to drop the engine from the frame to remove the rocker?
Could someone please advise on the procedure for rocker cover removal on a G2.
TIA
Lawrie (Sussex)
ajscomboman

Re: G2 rocker cover removal

Post by ajscomboman »

Once all the rocker bolts have been loosened and removed (inc the pesky hidden one inside the inspection cover) the short rear and 2 holding the headsteady can only be removed once the rocker cover is lifted up and slid over at an angle. There isn't enough room for them to come out vertical. If however tilting can't be done without hitting the frame top tube, is it possible that you have a 350 motor instead of 250. In which case the engine has to be dropped. Count the barrel fins, off the top of my head it's 11 for 350 and 9 for 250 but can't be 100% certain.
Lawries

Post by Lawries »

Super! Thank you so much for your knowledge and for not making me feel any sillier than I already did.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

There are no dumb questions only dumb answers. We've all been there before, ask as many questions as you like there are plenty L/W owners on here who've probably covered just about everything at one time or another.