Headlamp Binnacle

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Monty

Headlamp Binnacle

Post by Monty »

Hi all

Just refitting the headlight binnacle on my 1960 Model 14 rebuild and have noticed two small square holes between the ampmeter and speedo about 2 inches apart any Idea as to their purpose? It has been 5 years since I stripped the bike and I don't remember what they were for and I have lost the majority of my strip down pictures DOH !

Monty
Andy.S

Re: Headlamp Binnacle

Post by Andy.S »

Hi
Looking at a old picture of my bike there seems to be just two screws.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

I’ve seen some lightweights that have small red lozenge shaped lenses between the ammeter and speedo and as far as I’m aware they serve no purpose. I can’t think why there would be any screws in this position.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hear is a link to a headlight on a FB https://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/fra ... -AT-08.htm, there are two red pips that illuminate so you know the headlight is on, it must be a really poor headlight if you need the pips to let you know.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

That must be a very strange headlamp if the light is projected rearward to illuminate the two pips. Is there perhaps a window in the speedo to allow the speedo lamp to shine on to the pips?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The pips are illuminated by the speedo light which is simply clipped to the side of the speedo with a clear lens strip that allows light to light the speedo face at the same time. There are no screws in those locations is simply because the pips are missing.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Thanks guys

You are absolutely correct, there should be to orange pips to shine when the speedo light is on. Unfortunately I seem to not have them so I reckon a couple of chrome screws will have to suffice. Unless anybody has some they no longer require.

Monty
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Reynard24 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:41 am That must be a very strange headlamp if the light is projected rearward to illuminate the two pips. Is there perhaps a window in the speedo to allow the speedo lamp to shine on to the pips?
Not having any lightweight experience I assumed it was the same way that the original Lucas ammeters were illuminated through their clear sides, there is usually some light bleed behind the reflector when the headlight is on, could be time for an experiment to confirm this?
Kiwiengineer

Post by Kiwiengineer »

In my 59 g2 they get illuminated by the instrument bulb oth than that I don’t think they served any purpose on the amc bikes.