Chrome chain cover

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Dubbsy

Chrome chain cover

Post by Dubbsy »

Hi, I have an original chrome chain guard for my 66' 250 CSR, but no bolts. Looking at the guard the bolts will go through the guard and the swinging arm back into the guard which has a threaded section. Bit like captive nuts. Can anyone advise on bolt size and thread or ideally where to purchase them. Many thanks.
I then have to work out how the brake light switch is mounted and where. Previously it was on the made up non original guard...
KRM

Re: Chrome chain cover

Post by KRM »

The bolts ( different sizes) are / were available from the club spares. Not checked if still available. In not let me know and I’ll measure mine for you.

The stop light switch is mounted on the pillion foot rest. There is a hole for a bolt to go through. The spring is forward facing and is attached to a ( I believe) small triangular bit of metal with 3 adjustment holes in it to provide slightly different tension on the spring but it’s unlikely to make much difference. This adjuster is then attached to the brake rod itself as it passes through the brake pedal.
The switch itself is unobtainable but aftermarket switches are fine. However you will need to reverse the mounting bracket so the spring faces forward. This is easy to do by removing the existing bracket and turning it around. Refasten by using a small bolt or repeaning the original rivets.