Battery not charging

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
MrMagoo

Battery not charging

Post by MrMagoo »

Hi, my Model 14 battery isn’t charging. I don’t know much about electrics but a friend of mine is helping me. There’s a current from the alternator to the rectifier but not from the rectifier to the battery. We’ve replaced the rectifier and there’s no change. Please let me know if you can help. Thank you.
Mick D

Re: Battery not charging

Post by Mick D »

Hi

What year is your M14? You should be able to find a wiring diagram for it in the archive.

The output from the rectifier will be routed through the ignition switch and ammeter on it's way to the battery, I suspect you have a dodgy switch or broken wire / bad connection, you need to check continuity and resistance in accordance with the relevant wiring diagram.

Regards Mick
MrMagoo

Post by MrMagoo »

Hi Mick, thank you for your reply I’ll take a closer look. It’s a 1962 model.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If its the original wiring loom it'll have a resistance wire to restrict the charge when the lights aren't on. If you end up rewiring it I'd go for a 12volt system with a modern rectifier/regulator such as the AO Services one. It's much simpler.
Dave.
MrMagoo

Post by MrMagoo »

Hi Dave, thanks for the advice, I’m going over to a friends workshop later to get it looked at. It’s 6v and everything looks in good order.