Useful resource

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Rob Harknett

Re: Useful resource

Post by Rob Harknett »

KRM wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:02 pm
clive wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:23 pm Thanks Rob but it does seem these are not readily available to members at present but its good to know they have been archived.
Exactly.... it’s great (important, and valued ) that this information has been at least catalogued. Well done for that !

Somehow it needs to be made available for members but that will always be a function of available time and resource.

For now its good to know at least it’s there. The more information the better because soon or later “in the head knowledge ” will no longer be available the the next generation of owners.
I have been a committee member now for over 30 years. Most of that time as prewar officer, during all that time I have been archiving files. I have spent £100's buying books / literature. some items cost up to £150. Much has been published, copied and sold. 30 odd years of my work copied by people to make money. Files I have given to the club are used by the club for the benefit of all members.They are a club assert you cannot put a price on. If published anyone could have that club assert for the price of membership to profit from. No other club or business will sell off their asserts for peanuts. You want stuff on the www free, expecting someone to work for nothing to provide it. Plus pay the costs to provide it.. Would you do your job for no payment.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:02 am For what it's worth, personally I think it's a great job done by Jay. I know full well that the info is already in the archives, but it's fragmented and takes some time to trawl through finding the odd snippet here and there. The info on L/W's is sketchy at best and most of the publications were simply supplements updating the 1960 factory spares manual. I have already spoken to Jay with regards to the spares dept having the publication to sell onto future members who require such info. It's early days and quite a task for him to develop given a lack of time but we'll see.
Rob,
Are you not aware, lightweights are the only models covered by one single parts list that covers all models for all years 1958 up to 1966.
This would certainly assist members and Spares Dept. It will show which part covers various years and models. You no need to trawl though all the supplements. Here it is. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... o_1966.pdf
The file title is deceiving, so I have duplicated the file giving the duplicate new tile which states what the parts list actually is. See below.
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
SADLY this book has very many missing pages. I have asked many times if anyone has the complete book without any response.
the only pages we have are 2. 3. ?, 9, 12, 16, 24, 25, 26 & 29. Please help, there must be another copy out there somewhere. I've been looking for about 25 years.
RL

Post by RL »

I've not been able to get to Kettering for well over a year now because of the Covid situation, but as Rob says the DVD's are their and hopefully in the not to distant future it will be possible go over and sort them out etc.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

RL wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:19 am I've not been able to get to Kettering for well over a year now because of the Covid situation, but as Rob says the DVD's are their and hopefully in the not to distant future it will be possible go over and sort them out etc.
Digital files I sent long ago to Ron and later left at Kettering, are archived with many files of parts list etc on the club laptop. I also have them backed up on USB sticks Roger. Well over 100 new AMC files have been added this year. I still have a lot of work to do on the laptop putting files in folders. e.g Separate folders for prewar/postwar/ AJS / Matchless Parts lists etc. also folders for the many other related literature etc.files.
So e.g. if looking for a post war AJS parts lists. Just go straight to post war AJS folder. You will not have to search though one folder with all parts lists as in Christians archives..