Useful resource

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ajscomboman

Re: Useful resource

Post by ajscomboman »

For what it's worth, personally I think it's a great job done by Jay. I know full well that the info is already in the archives, but it's fragmented and takes some time to trawl through finding the odd snippet here and there. The info on L/W's is sketchy at best and most of the publications were simply supplements updating the 1960 factory spares manual. I have already spoken to Jay with regards to the spares dept having the publication to sell onto future members who require such info. It's early days and quite a task for him to develop given a lack of time but we'll see.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

KRM wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:17 am Personally I think this is very useful, and worth the small sum, clearly some of you don't; which is fine.
ajscomboman wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:02 am For what it's worth, personally I think it's a great job done by Jay.
Don't be discouraged in offering suggestions Keith. Forum comments can come over as blunt or unappreciative unlike they would in a discussion over a pint in the rally beer tent.

I've never owned or worked on a Lightweight but have occasionally looked for info on them and agree totally that the info seems scarce and scattered and it's also frustrating trawling through the many supplements and updates. We seem to depend heavily on three or four knowledgeable members on the Forum to provide help, unlike for the Heavyweight range where detailed manuals and experts are two a penny ;), possibly because many more owners have Heavyweights. (Surely it's not because the Heavyweights are always going wrong and their owners are crap fettlers :? ).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

I was about to complain that you were calling me two a penny Spriddler, then I realised I am not an expert.... :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:30 pm I was about to complain that you were calling me two a penny Spriddler, then I realised I am not an expert.... :rofl:
Don't be so modest Clive.
It has taken me a lifetime of devoted fettling to achieve your level of mediocrity.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I found the Excel list on Christian's Archives really useful but have used excel a lot in the past for work.

I did once have a 1966 14CSR and bought the Bruce Main Smith manual and list; there was no internet then! It does appear that the lightweight owners have info access difficulties and I suppose anything that helps is good.

It is also true that Christian has put tremendous effort into setting up and maintaining the Archives, even though they are a personal thing and not a Club resource.

It is unfortunate that he will get no benefit to meet his research and hosting costs.

JohnnyB
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have already stated earlier.
There is a compilation perhaps 100's of lightweight files put together over a number of years by Dave Baker in Australia. Each folder contains many files.
I have archived them for the club. No change asked for.
Ashampoo_Snap_16 May 2021_18h34m32s_003_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Mon May 17, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive

Post by clive »

And where exactly are these files archived Rob? I cannot seem to find them in either the club's technical articles or in the Archives.
clive
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:08 pm And where exactly are these files archived Rob? I cannot seem to find them in either the club's technical articles or in the Archives.
On a DVD at Kettering Clive.It's size is about 1GB. Roger said some time ago he would go through the archives looking for all the DVD's I have put there over the years.
At present there is no excel file listing club digital archives, unless Roger has made a start since I last spoke to him. I have been archiving digital files for well over 10 years.
In the early years to Ron. ( perhaps they are waiting to be found on the table at Kettering ) As you know I have a also made many excel files, Club people, the 3 rallies inc all prize winners, dating from approx 1909 on wards from trade books etc.etc. Only all the Jampot magazines 1954 on wards and a load of tech tip's I turned into digital files, are on the website.
clive

Post by clive »

Thanks Rob but it does seem these are not readily available to members at present but its good to know they have been archived.
clive
KRM

Post by KRM »

clive wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:23 pm Thanks Rob but it does seem these are not readily available to members at present but its good to know they have been archived.
Exactly.... it’s great (important, and valued ) that this information has been at least catalogued. Well done for that !

Somehow it needs to be made available for members but that will always be a function of available time and resource.

For now its good to know at least it’s there. The more information the better because soon or later “in the head knowledge ” will no longer be available the the next generation of owners.