Useful resource

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
KRM

Useful resource

Post by KRM »

Hi All,

Just thought I'd highlight this bit of very useful work done by Jay Jarvis over lock down.
It not only covers all the fasteners but also has technical drawings (many done by Jay himself) and shows how the bits bolt together.

I believe Jay is asking for a nominal fee, but in my opinion it's well worth it and addresses a large gap in the lightweight resource.

Unsure if Jay is on this group but he can be reached on the facebook AJS Matchless lightweight singles group or drop me a message with your e mail and I'll put you in touch.

All best
0FE73D8D-BD28-4AE5-BF99-C6584A3C9710.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monty

Re: Useful resource

Post by Monty »

Absolutely. This is helping me with my rebuild no end, they are the most usefull documents well done Jay.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I believe min. £10 is the cost. Most of the info has been in the Archives for years.
Drawings can be found in the archives Instruction books, Parts lists, workshop manuals and elsewhere in the archives
There is also a searchable file of fasteners which covers all models / years. link below.
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Spe ... shers.xlsx
KRM

Post by KRM »

Rob,
Perhaps this is true but having the information collated and in one place is highly useful. The list of fasteners in the archives is not complete nor very user friendly. It was a stumbling blocks for many restorers of these little beasts. Having trawled through the archives and many manuals for both this and my two G12 builds I personally think the way this is laid out is very good and well worth the small fee.
I don't know if you have seen the work, but there are drawings Jay has done personally which don't exist anywhere else that I have seen. I was quite impressed, but maybe I'm easily pleased. lol.

Whilst it might not help everyone, for many I know it has been highly useful, and invaluable for my own build.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I made a list of lightweight fasteners myself a few years ago, but only sent copies to those that asked at the time.
There are actually 100's of unpublished light weight files, which include drawings for.... centre & prop stands + all fittings. drifts & special tools, contact breaker 042247, valve seats, head sleeve nut 042152, oil pump plunger 043610, CSR front wheel spacers, Rear brake lever bush, seat tube nut & rod. Too much to mention.
I have not seen content of the book in question, so I am curious about what unknown else where content it has.
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

As rob has quite rightly pointed out, all of his information can be found in the archives if you search for it, including all of the various diagrams that he has copied. All that he has done is collected all the information, put it in one place, and charges £10+ for it. I have seen it but have not brought it.
Its all free and its all in the archives.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I haven't looked at the item and whilst it's more convenient to have info grouped together it isn't difficult to use the Archives. Christian Gyde has put a vast amount of work into compiling and maintaining the Archives and website.
There are several eBay sellers of copied AMC manuals which may have been downloaded from Christians Archive or the Bruce Main-Smith manuals which are similarly noted vis-à-vis copying and commercial exploitation.

Christians Archive.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Recently many such books. Like all years G9 /Mod 20, G3 / Mod 16 etc etc workshop manuals. They are just complications from the workshop manuals. If you own say a 1966 Matchless G2CSR. You cannot go wrong by having the factory literature and a workshop manual for that year model only. They contain only what is correct for a 1966 G2CSR.
The excel file of fittings was refereed to as not user friendly. That's a joke, it would be most useful for any one restoring a lightweight. Some one has done a lot of work making that file to assist identifying fasteners, many have dimensions not found anywhere else. So if you have a certain fastener you need to ID Just sort the file to group say studs, check stud dimensions against the excel file. You now have the pt.no. go to your parts list to see where it goes. Do that in reverse if you need to find a certain stud in your box of bits. Go to your parts list, check for the stud part no. go to the pt.no. on the excel file, you now have dimensions to go through your box of bits to find the stud.
I am taking a guess your book gave no info at all to ID fasteners, or did it? please tell us how your user friendly book helped you ID fasteners.
KRM

Post by KRM »

you know what folks... lets leave it there.
Personally I think this is very useful, and worth the small sum, clearly some of you don't; which is fine.

All I did was highlight something which seemed to help me and others beyond what's currently available. For example if someone can point me in the right direction to the CADs for say the horn mounting bracket which enabled me to make parts I would be most grateful. I did look but perhaps not hard enough.

Its another resource which might help keep these bikes on the road and whilst it is perhaps "standing on the shoulders of giants" it also adds to the bank of knowledge.

all best to all :)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Do- ... 3-5-18.pdf
Here's a list of some of Arne's drawings he may have more ask him. Most were CAD.