ENGINE SPROCKET SPACER

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
dodger

ENGINE SPROCKET SPACER

Post by dodger »

Duplex chain resized.jpg
Now that I have everything back from the painters and chrome platers I am assembling my 1965 AJS Model 14 CSR project.

I am trying to fit the primary drive side but when the clutch and engine sprocket are in place the duplex chain fouls the rear casing around the engine sprocket.
The parts list drawing shows a spacer looking object between the sprocket and the crankcase, part number 041091, but it is no where to be found in the parts list text.
Can anyone confirm if a spacer should be between the engine sprocket and the ball bearing on the crankshaft and if so has any one got one they can measure so that I can turn one up?
The boss on the engine sprocket has a lot smaller diameter than the crankcase recess it sits in so I feel there should be something in there to limit the transfer of oil into the chain case, after all the twins have a spacer in this position with a scroll on the outside to stop this oil transfer.

Any help and info gratefully received.

Laurie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clanger9

Re: ENGINE SPROCKET SPACER

Post by clanger9 »

Hi Laurie, there is no spacer in there. 041091 is a red herring - see this thread:
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 79#p203867

If the chain fouls the casing, first make certain that the outer roller bearing is fully home. If it is, then you can fit shims until the chain clears the casing.

Good luck!
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
dodger

Re: ENGINE SPROCKET SPACER

Post by dodger »

Thanks clanger I'll knock some shims up then.