G2 ELECTRONIC IGNITION

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
shifter

Re: G2 ELECTRONIC IGNITION

Post by shifter »

Dave, I am in total agreement with you but all I was saying if the original set up is working good and your happy with it leave well alone in my view if its not broken it don't need fixed. I have nothing against e.i systems as I have a Trumpet with 12v Boyer fitted during engine rebuild like you say less moving parts and better lights.

shifter
?
Roger Stephenson
Deceased

Post by Roger Stephenson »

The main reason now for wanting to change to electronic ignition is that the auto advance/retard mechanism has failed, but I've got spares on the way.
Due to the lack of an appropriate 6v electronic system on the market its back to the old mechanical system.
Thanks for your help.
Roger
allbull

Post by allbull »

I've written a couple of articles that have made it into the Jampot regarding change over to 12V and fitting Boyer Bransden electronic ignition. Like Roger, I got fed up with the auto advance mechanism falling apart/dropping springs & circlips/sticking (nice hole in the piston, that one!). I think 12v is an obvious upgrade, but there are plenty who disagree (loudly!) with me.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Roger Stephenson wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:16 pm Are you on 6v or 12v? Boyer tell me they they no longer do a 6v and that's what I'm after for my 1959 G2.

Roger
Sorry Roger, 12v
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
bjork

Post by bjork »

Another one to agree with Dave above. I have a Wassel ignition on my Model 31 and it's great. Dead easy starting and much smoother running. Mine was originally fitted with the Lucas distributor which was also a good starter but not so smooth running. This was mainly down to wear and tear in the distributor bearings and the advance/retard mechanism. It became impossible to get timing anywhere near right on both cylinders and the advance mechanism was all over the place. With electronic all those points are cured with nothing to wear out. It was a lot cheaper than reconditioning the distributor too.
I also have a 1961 G3LS that is still on its points and coil system. Great starter but the advance mechanism is a bit sticky and no amount of cleaning and lubing has fixed it. (it was rusty through standing for years) It would be the icing on the cake for that bike to have a Wassel/Boyer/Pazon replacement.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today