Spares list update

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Spares list update

Post by Martin.S »

I know nothing about how a website works but would it be possible for us as a group re write an up dated version of the Lightweight spares list.
There's so much missing and we could improve the descriptions of the components.
I needed to know the thickness of a particular washer and couldn't find it's details anywhere - but Roy had one on his bench - so now I know and could share that in the parts list.
So as an example :-

043292 Bolt, rear wheel sprocket - use 95-370247 1/4"x 26tpi x 5/8th"x 5/16" hex(?) qty 6 All Models

With that listed you now know what to look for and if you can't find it you can make/have it made.
Building a bike up out of parts with the limited information available has been pretty difficult for what really are not rare models.

Maybe a spread sheet set out like the original and as we find the information it can be added to, I suppose you'd have to have a selected group of editors or someone could sabotage it. Any thoughts
Last edited by Martin.S on Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Re: Spares list update

Post by Rob Harknett »

Most parts list post 1951 do not give fitting sizes. If you check an older parts list you may discover sizes. The easiest way to do this is check this book,
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ements.pdf
It also converts old to new pt no's. A lot of standard fittings were used for many years. If you see STD 1 that's new pt. no. 000001 up to say STD 1000 new pt. no. 001000. These fitings can easily be notice by STD prefix ornew 6 digit with as many zero's replacing STD for the new part number. You are almost sure to find the sizes in the conversion parts list.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

We really need the lightweight parts list that covers 1960 to 1966. It an old list that appears to be typed not printed. The copy we have only has about 11 pages, there should be at least 28 or more. Some one there must have a complete copy. Each time I have asked no one responds.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Martin.S wrote:I know nothing about how a website works but would it be possible for us as a group re write an up dated version of the Lightweight spares list.
There's so much missing and we could improve the descriptions of the components.
I needed to know the thickness of a particular washer and couldn't find it's details anywhere - but Roy had one on his bench - so now I know and could share that in the parts list.
So as an example :-

043292 Bolt, rear wheel sprocket - use 95-370247 1/4"x 26tpi x 5/8th"x 5/16" hex(?) qty 6 All Models

Not Roy! He'd never have one on his bench, he hates them! To write the description with dimensions and enter them is never likely to happen as we'd never allow access to the system to do so.

Our system will only allow updates if we stock the part. You're bolt is a classic example, we do not stock them as we have no sample. As you have found a cross reference presumably from another supplier, it would help if the finder approached the club with either an offer to supply or take the lead and arrange purchase. Then the updates can be applied as suggested. Alternatively updated descriptions of existing stock can be supplied by email and they could be copy and pasted to either by the webmaster or staff. That also goes for H/W parts as well.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Martin.S wrote:... would it be possible for us as a group re write an updated version of the Lightweight spares list.
As I understand this, there appears to be two scenarios:

1) The club has the definition of the part number (whether it is in stock or not) and Martin is suggesting that the description could be improved.

2) The part is not registered on our system at all, but if the basic details were in place it could help to find alternatives or provide input to the list of parts to have made.

With regard to point 1, we couldn't simply open up the description of a part to anyone to change as that could result in 3,500 different opinions! However, it may be possible to allow members to enter an improved description that following a review could then be used to update the part description (much like adverts are reviewed before being active on the system).

Point 2 is more difficult, as we don't have any entry in our system to "hang the description on", we would have to have a separate list of part numbers and descriptions that were not stocked. Such a list would benefit those looking for equivalent parts as well as helping the club to determine potential items for manufacture.

I will put this topic on the discussion list for the forthcoming (virtual) committee meeting on the 21st.
Corners like a Lego man
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Sorry Rob - slip of the tongue - but thanks again
Our system will only allow updates if we stock the part. You're bolt is a classic example, we do not stock them as we have no sample. As you have found a cross reference presumably from another supplier, it would help if the finder approached the club with either an offer to supply or take the lead and arrange purchase. Then the updates can be applied as suggested. Alternatively updated descriptions of existing stock can be supplied by email and they could be copy and pasted to either by the webmaster or staff. That also goes for H/W parts as well.
My idea was nothing to do with the spares scheme.
I have a parts list along with the later incomplete update - and they're rubbish!

I'd like a complete parts list for all models and all years just for the lightweights that I can print off. I'd like it all there and not to have to go searching through archive material just to find out what size nut I need. I'm nearly through my build but for anyone new picking up a similar project it's a right pain in the neck.
I've built a few bikes - Triumph, BMW, BSA and a Norton yet to be built but this Matchless is the worst - just because of a lack of information.

But as you brought the subject up Rob,
You're bolt is a classic example, we do not stock them as we have no sample. As you have found a cross reference presumably from another supplier, it would help if the finder approached the club with either an offer to supply or take the lead and arrange purchase.
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26167 - here's another posting about the said bolts - there's pictures, offers of originals and drawings but the "spares scheme" don't seem to be interested. I have a lathe and can make some parts myself but I'm not set up to mass produce nor do I have contacts to get it done. Surely this is where the "spares scheme" should shine. It must have small scale manufacturing contacts and contacts with other club schemes such as the Norton owners club who they can collaborate with.
I don't know how many the scheme would stock - 5 sets? and if the NOC would also want some that could be 10 sets - 60 bolts and then there's the special nuts (I think?) to go with them.
As far as Lightweights are concerned the "Heavy weight spares scheme" is stagnant - and as an example there - what happened to the Long oil filters? There's demand there if this forum is anything to go by.

Now Rob I'm not meaning to have a go at you personally but I just put out there a suggestion where this forum members could help ourselves and more importantly new members but my fire works were just widdled on!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

You have some very valid points and we'll certainly expand on them. However you're wrong to assume that the club have contacts willing to do small batch work. In fact it's entirely the opposite. No-one wants small batch work! That's why we're in a constant battle to develop new lines. The L/W's will always take a pounding for the reasons you have mentioned, not enough info, lack of good samples and not enough demand to produce stock.

As for the filters, OMG if you only knew! We can find no-one willing to produce them at all. The old manufacturer is not willing as they take too much time to make and there is not enough profit margin.

If any owners can find a manufacturer that will and the unit cost isn't sky high then get in touch.

Having a list to instantly flick through is just plain lazy, if the factory wouldn't do it you can't expect anyone else to. Turning detective has to be part of the fun. :D
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The parts list I referred to that we only have an incomplete copy of covers from 1960 onwards. From that date, mainly only supplements were issued.
The parts list is like the old 1920's Wolverhampton parts lists that cover a number of years. It has columns for part number & description. Then date column's 1960 1961 and so on. In the year columns it marks the years/models the part was used. We really do need copy of this lightweight master parts list. It would also aid market research, as you could quickly see for how many years a certain part was used.

Early light weight parts lists that were published are poorly illustrated. I have mentioned this before.
Look also at the Instruction books where you will find more parts illustrated.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sometimes it can be difficult to set aside the emotion associated with a lot of hard work and trying one's best when someone comes along with suggestions. Equally, it's not usual to broadcast all the work that is done in the background but then if it's not, others can't appreciate it! For example, I can't comprehend just how muchwork Rob Harknett put into archiving the Jampots. There's plenty of others grafting away on our behalf. I'm therefore more than ready to take a slap on the wrist even if not deserved. I've put my hand up to do nowt, just sit back and take the benefit. Who'd have Clive's role?

There are a lot of queries that turn up on this Forum related to size of this, material that was used for that or whatever; I was guilty of that only the other day but Sprid put up with me.

Maybe there's a technical approach, say collaborating using Excel - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/off ... n-gb&ad=gb - that would help Mart S make progress. Identify the scope of the task, break down into discrete sections and allocate tasks to a small cadre of Lightweight enthusiasts to add their parts into a master spreadsheet? IKBA.

"Turning detective has to be part of the fun."

Rob, perhaps not for all of us. It's the riding I really enjoy, the workshop just a means to an end. For others, the riding is secondary and it's the workshop that's the pleasure; and all points in between those two.

Johnny B
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

I made a shared Lightweight fixings spreadsheet to try and share what we know.

Please feel free to add/amend!
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AreW5w5WmJsqrFeLbZT ... 7?e=53E1b5
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS