G2 rear brake pedal

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
scoulding

G2 rear brake pedal

Post by scoulding »

I am trying to find out the assembly for the rear pillion and rear brake pedal assembly when fitted to a G2. I have some parts but need some photos of how the bits fit on the spindle when they attach to the frame. How does the spring in the brake pedal sit? where if any do the spacers fit? I have a parts book but no illustrations.

If you have a G2 and can supply info, sketch or photos of the assembly it would be appreciated.

thank you for reading
cbranni

G2 rear brake pedal

Post by cbranni »

I shall take some photos tomorrow Sean.
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Eddison5

G2 rear brake pedal

Post by Eddison5 »

I have the engine out of mine at the moment so I have a couple of uninterrupted shots of the assembled brake pedal here. Afraid that it is a phone camera so not good.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j36 ... AG0048.jpg

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j36 ... AG0049.jpg
Eddison5

G2 rear brake pedal

Post by Eddison5 »

Here is another picture from the underside showing the spring anchored on a tang mounted against the frame

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j36 ... C00013.jpg
scoulding

G2 rear brake pedal

Post by scoulding »

Thanks Eddison 5 for the photos, much appreciated. Will print and check against the bits I have.
borrop01

G2 rear brake pedal

Post by borrop01 »

Hi I am just sorting out the rear brake pedal mounting on a 59 14cs scrambles. The bike came in kit form without a pedal shaft.Think the part no is 042446. May have to make. Is the shaft say 3/4 square in length and say 1/4 round in length to go through the bush in the pedal shaft boss. Any info would be of great help. Peter.
cbranni

G2 rear brake pedal

Post by cbranni »

The bush that fits the pivot point in the brake lever is.........from memory

OD .875
ID .600
L 1.960

The square shaft is .437 sq x 9.250 long with 7/16 BSCy on either end for length of 9/16

Hope this helps
Colin
PS on early models the bush is part of the shaft so the above dims may not suit your modelEdited by - cbranni on 16 Oct 2012 8:03:41 PM
borrop01

G2 rear brake pedal

Post by borrop01 »

Many thanks for your quick reply Colin. Yes sizes are right.
I just seemed odd, square shaft running in round bore. Now see how
it will work out. A great help. Peter.
scoulding

Re: G2 rear brake pedal

Post by scoulding »

Gents, thanks to all who answered me about the rear brake pedal set up on a G2. But even with all the info I have had from you I still am having problems, can anyone supply some more info. When I put the parts togehter on the square rod and all is tightened up the brake pedal will not move. I am still puzzled by this setup of the brake pedal return spring, bush, tab washer etc.....

I know I am doing something wrong. Does anyone have a photo of the bush or is this part of the brake pedal?

My head is hurting after trying to assemble this brake pedal and rear pillion set up.

Any further photos appreciated.

HELP PLEASE.
Thanks
cbranni

Re: G2 rear brake pedal

Post by cbranni »

Hi Sean, I can take some photos of the rear brake assembly tomorrow evening, the Lightweight I am rebuilding at the moment is a 64 model and has a square rod not a round shaft with square ends, is your like this?
If you pm me your email address I can send the photos (always get lost when posting photos)
Colin