G2 rear brake pedal

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
scoulding

Re: G2 rear brake pedal

Post by scoulding »

Colin

Thanks for the reply. The rod I have for the brake and pillion footrest assembly is a Square rod. I have sent an email to you so any info you have would be a really big help.

Regards
Sean
borrowashboy

Post by borrowashboy »

i've posted a photo up that clearly shows the spring and how it fits, in relation to the tanged bracket etc. should be up soon. it's titled brakepedalspring [funnily enough] and will be in new photo's.
cheers, bb.
Ducati1980

Post by Ducati1980 »

Sorry I know this is an old thread but I’m struggling too!
The bush for the brake pedal on my g2 has been drilled and pinned to the square shaft. I’m assuming this is a bodge and not the correct bush? Does anyone know the part number for the bush? Is the correct bush square internally so it doesn’t spin on the rod? Any help would be much appreciated, Steve
1962 Matchless G2
2019 Ducati Scrambler
2019 Honda Monkey
KRM

Post by KRM »

Hi Steve,
I was also struggling with this for a while as a couldn’t see how the round tanged stop could be anchored on a sq section rod so as to prevent it turning. However as you tighten up the foot rest nuts it does indeed hold. When I originally got the bike someone had used an old center stand stop as an spring stop. It seemed to work a lot better as the sq section matched the rod. However it mangled the spring which needed replacing. The pedal Bush is held tight at both ends as you tighten up the assembly. Again I couldn’t see how this would work but it does. The pedal moves on the outer edge of the Bush, the Bush doesn’t move on the square rod.

The issue I first had was the replacement stop was too long and when all tightened down caught the lever and the entire arrangement was locked solid or moving with the pedal. Slight adjustment with the grinder and all is well. The second was that the replacement spring end was also slightly too long and caused the spring to snag on the lever. Again once identified this was an easy fix.

Currently have it assembled on the bench so happy to take pictures or have a quick video call / send you a video showing how I have assembled it. I think I’ve got it right but always happy to be corrected.
Ducati1980

Post by Ducati1980 »

Thank you for the detailed reply, I’m hopefully going to have a go at fitting it all up next week if I get to stuck I may take you up on some pictures or a video call 👍👍
1962 Matchless G2
2019 Ducati Scrambler
2019 Honda Monkey