250 CSR main shaft gearbox bearing ring

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Dubbsy

250 CSR main shaft gearbox bearing ring

Post by Dubbsy »

I am in the proccess of overhauling my gearbox, i will be replacing the main gear bearing oil seal, Pt No 041267, the bearing itself is in good order, but i would like to also change the ring sleeve that the oil seal runs on Pt No 041391, however this is not stocked anywhere i.e AMOC, AMC classics , Russels etc. can anyone offer a solution or aanother supplier ? is this box fitted to another models ? It seems importand to replace as the seal itself runs on it. Many thanks Dave D
TERRY R

Re: 250 CSR main shaft gearbox bearing ring

Post by TERRY R »

hello,gearbox spares as you already know are none existant.i can only suggest you fit an earliergear,i take it the one you have has three drive dogs to engage the next gear?If you want to go with the earlier gear i may have one[it has three drilled holes for engagement,so you will need to change that gear as well i may have one of those as well.Where abouts do you live i am located ten miles from CREWE CHESHIRE.PLEASE ADVISE.THANKYOU.Terry
clive

Post by clive »

please move any further exchange on to private messaging or email as adverts are not allowed in the general forum. Thanks
The Adverts Police
cop emoji.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

TERRY R wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:12 pm hello,gearbox spares as you already know are none existant.i can only suggest you fit an earliergear,i take it the one you have has three drive dogs to engage the next gear?If you want to go with the earlier gear i may have one[it has three drilled holes for engagement,so you will need to change that gear as well i may have one of those as well.Where abouts do you live i am located ten miles from CREWE CHESHIRE.PLEASE ADVISE.THANKYOU.Terry
The ring isn't part of the sleeve gear... it is a separate ring that abuts the bearing that the oil seal runs on. The gearbox sprocket then abuts that ring holding it in place.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

The other thing to say is it's pretty hard and usually not worn. As there is oil/grease in the general area they generally aren't rusty either. Are you sure you need a new one?
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

Hi John, no I'm not sure at this stage until the g/box is out. What I do know is it is defo leaking oil from that area, so it's either just a seal, or one of those little blanking plugs ( like mini core plugs ) . The previous owner replaced the seal but that was circa 10 years ago. So I was just trying to cover all bases once I had it out.
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

So I took the gearbox out, filled with oil, cleaned the suspect area down and set it up on a bench and waited.... 1 hr later a small leak appeared at the blanking plug. No leaks from the seal but I'll change it anyway. Now to sort the plug out as there is no availability at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Don't bother removing the plug, clean the area really well I use carb cleaner, ensure the area is dry and then cover the plug and around the joint with JB weld. Done this on several boxes with this issue and they've been bone dry since.