Carb Help.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
nymanjoseph

Carb Help.

Post by nymanjoseph »

I have finally fitted a Amal monobloc 389 with correct jets to my 1965 AJS CSR Model 14 and on starting the bike I got some sparkes out of the carbs inlet.I am using E5 fuel with an additive but I never had this happen when I had the incorrect carb that was on the bike when I bought it,376.Any advice would be most welcome.Thank you.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Carb Help.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Denis. Where abouts are you in W. Sx? There are several of us in the section but I don't recall meeting you at a club night or run-out and the county is very wide.
I assume you don't actually mean 'sparks' but perhaps you mean 'spitting back' through the carb inlet when starting. Pls clarify.
Odd that it has only happened with the new carb. Presumably you have fitted the correct jets? Spitting back can caused by an incorrectly adjusted Pilot jet screw or the ignition timing too advanced - which could be due to a sticky auto A/R not returning fully to the retarded position when at rest. Are you sure that there isn't an air leak between the carb mounting flange and the cylinder head? That would weaken the mixture and could cause spitting back.
Does it run O.K. once it's started?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
nymanjoseph

Post by nymanjoseph »

Thanks for getting back to me.I live i Haywards Heath.I haven't been to club nights as yet as I am recovering from some health issues which has kept me away,lack of enthusiasm I guess.Also since I have had the bike it has not been running that well and I was not confident with it.
I will follow up your suggestions and get back to you.The bike does run but it is spitting back most of the time but does rev up well.
Thanks again.
Denis.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There are at least half a dozen of us who are long time fettlers of AMC bikes within 6 miles of you so between us we can probably help. It's not unknown for brand new carbs to have manufacturing debris blocking jets and drillings.
You and I are the same age and only a few years older than the average age of our section members. I know only too well the need to give oneself a kick up the 'arris in order to get to grips with stuff. ;)
Our meetings are the first Weds in each month at 'The Hassocks' pub next door to Hassocks railway station. Details inside the back page of the Jampot magazine. We wander in to the pub from around 7 to about 10 (for those who have a late pass from Nurse ;) )
Drop in for a warm welcome and a natter whether by bike or car - several of us live so close we go by car as it's hardly worth getting all kitted up for a 10 minute ride!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'