Chain case oil etc

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Dubbsy

Chain case oil etc

Post by Dubbsy »

Hi, can someone advise on the volume of oil & SAE viscosity reqd for the primary(duplex) chain case.

I also noted that when I took off the cover there was no gasket fitted, just silicon used, I do have what look likes the right gasket that came with the bike bits and bob box. Is it advisable to use a gasket or silicon or both ?
Many thanks ( newbee)
Red Gauntlet

Re: Chain case oil etc

Post by Red Gauntlet »

568cc of engine oil, don't use a modern synthetic here as it has friction modifiers and may cause the clutch to slip, I use SAE40 with no problems.
Gasket probably not fitted as they don't seal very well at the rear of the case where there is a bit of a wiggle, you maybe lucky but I make my own from gasket paper, easy with a bit of practice, use Wellseal but only on one face, i.e. the back face or it will be a pain when you need to remove the casing at some point. I hate silicone rubber, 35 years in the motortrade has shown me more ruined engines than I care to think of all caused by silicone rubber entering oilways.
Cheers, Max
Peter Morris

Re: Chain case oil etc

Post by Peter Morris »

Threebond is excellent, and squeezed out excess on the inside doesn't come away and get into the oilways. I use it on primary cases without a gasket.