G2S 1961

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Roger R

G2S 1961

Post by Roger R »

Recommendations would be appreciated.

I purchased this bike in well restored condition and it has always started easily but using on the road has been a different story. The timing and rockers have been set ok the carb is in good condition being the 176/99 with all the correct jets needles and slider installed.
Out on the bike today had the best ride so far, albeit, only 7-8 miles but it ran smoother with the choke on very slightly, approx 5mm at the lever end.
On return home the plug was checked and found to be quite wet. My thoughts before removing the plug was to raise the needle one notch, currently set as per manual on middle notch, but this would make the plug wetter I think. I forgot to mention that the air bleed control is 11/2 turns out and I believe it should be half to 1 max.

Any ideas as to what to try next ? seems very close yo being ok but not there yet.

Roger
clanger9

Re: G2S 1961

Post by clanger9 »

Did you check the float level?

It's set by the washer (or absence of washer) under the fuel inlet union, and it's easy to disturb this in a rebuild. From your symptoms, the float level might be a touch high. It should be level with the 'pip' on the float chamber cover - connect a piece of transparent tubing to the bottom of the idle jet to check...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Roger R

Post by Roger R »

That`s something I haven`t done thanks for the info. I`ll report back when I get a chance to check.

Cheers.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi don't want to state the obvious and I'm sure you already know this but when choke lever is pulled fully back choke is off and vice versa . Unless I have been doing it wrong all this time . Just your comment about running the bike with choke cable pulled back about 5mm would then mean that you had the choke partly off so bike ran better .
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong .