Anyone see this? The Times, 6 Jan, archive photos

These are the front page News Items. Only Club members can add news items to this forum.
Groily

Anyone see this? The Times, 6 Jan, archive photos

Post by Groily »

aj factory.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Morris

Re: Anyone see this? The Times, 6 Jan, archive photos

Post by Peter Morris »

Nice pic Bill!

What year roughly, do the tanks look 30's?
Groily

Post by Groily »

I don't know Peter. It was one of several pix ostensibly from the 20s I think, in yeterday's paper, but looks later to me too (who knows nothing).

I thought someone here would tell us what models the frames and tanks are for, and maybe 'Wow! that's my auntie / granny third from the left' sort of thing!

The theme of the archive was the arrival of women into the general factory workforce between the wars - biscuit factories, AJ Stevens et al.
The quality was good, so I snaffled this one, hoping I was not infringing anything . . . .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It's 1929 model year. First year the tank shape changed from the flat tank. For that year only the tank had a magenta tank panel. It was also the first year forks changed from oval tubing to round. Note I stated 1929 model year. which started September 1928. ( To get the new model range ready for the London Motor cycle show first week in November 1928. ) Note the cast iron fire is not being used for heating. I would say the picture was taken circa September 1928, when the weather was still warm. To promote this new 1929 model, with many changes .
Ashampoo_Snap_07 January 2022_09h54m00s_001_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Brilliant Rob! Thought you would know at a glance almost
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Here's a poser for you. My 1926 G8, which Im currently restoring, has a similar frame to the machines shown (save for the top tubes). Does anyone know why, when the lower section of the rear frame (wheel stays) is welded/brazed to the hefty, cast/forged gearbox mounting, the upper section (seat stays) are simply bolted to the lug at the saddle mounting? It provides for no means of adustment or realignment and the rear subframe cannot be removed anyway. Did AJS simply have a large stock of half inch bolts to use up? :)

This sort of thing can keep me awake at night :| Steve
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The rear frame bolted or welded on is still not adjustable.
The gearbox does not bolt on between plates. It bolts on that huge casting. The two bolts fixing the gearbox onto the casting which has slots, not holes. The slots allow the gearbox to be adjustable to tension primary and rear chains. Just a note. The casting is prone to fracturing. I have seen many broken and welded up. Most pedal cycles have welded frames like the old motor bikes. So only the rear wheel can be adjusted to tension the chain only.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks, Rob. I will thoroughly check the gearbox mount casting once the frame's been blasted. I am just curious as to why a bolt was used at all - it cant have been because it was cheaper than a brazed joint can it? :roll:

Steve
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Greybeard wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:15 pm Thanks, Rob. I will thoroughly check the gearbox mount casting once the frame's been blasted. I am just curious as to why a bolt was used at all - it cant have been because it was cheaper than a brazed joint can it? :roll:

Steve
Just a thought could it be that the saddle stem is clamped at this point?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There is a bolt that clamps the two sides of the frame and the saddle T piece support. Exactly the same as a pedal bicycle has.