Anyone see this? The Times, 6 Jan, archive photos

These are the front page News Items. Only Club members can add news items to this forum.
Greybeard

Re: Anyone see this? The Times, 6 Jan, archive photos

Post by Greybeard »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:10 pm Just a thought could it be that the saddle stem is clamped at this point?
The short answer is 'no' - I would have worked that one out :) . There is no saddle stem clamp - the gallows type seat post has an internal expanding wedge like the handlebar stem. All it does is hold the seat stays to the casting at the top of the seat post. It doesn't have any other function and removing it doesnt allow those stays to be moved though they are loosened. Told you it was a poser!

Steve
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The short answer is 'no' - I would have worked that one out :) . There is no saddle stem clamp - the gallows type seat post has an internal expanding wedge like the handlebar stem. All it does is hold the seat stays to the casting at the top of the seat post. It doesn't have any other function and removing it doesnt allow those stays to be moved though they are loosened. Told you it was a poser!

Sorry Steve, The saddle is not clamped, as you say, it does have the expanding cone bolt etc. Same as for the handle bars. Again just like a pedal bicycle.
You changed the topic from the AJS factory picture which is 1929, to your 1926 G8. I was referring to 1929 saddle which is clamped. Rob
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Now that the year has been set, maybe someone is able to spot what these lovely women are doing? Hand lining petrol tanks?
I note all of them are the same age approximately which may give a clue (steady hand, etc.).
Which part is lined up at the bench (lower right)?

- Knut
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I could me wrong but it looks to me as if they are inspection/finishing/touching up the frames and tanks.

Think I have experienced in some factories is when they go to take photos they often move more stuff into frame to make it look more impressive. Rather than just show what was going on.