Looking to identify an old bike model - GEW 889

Where is that old bike?
Rosy

Re: Looking to identify an old bike model - GEW 889

Post by Rosy »

When I saw this photo I was transported right back to my youth in the late 50s, I could smell the aroma of oil, petrol, and exhaust, even feel myself sat on a 350 AJ in my fathers garage much the same as this bike, it was my first of many AMC bikes I remember the reg started with KKT, my mate started singing a song from a previous era K K K Katie, so Katie it was, he was the comedian of our gang he'd have you laughing all day long. You see photo's all the time of old bikes on forums but this photo just seem to hit the nostalgia button. So glad I have one sat in my garage now all be it a later model.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Ivesy_boy wrote: ....so the bike could have been Huntingdon registered etc?
im probably guesting the bike itself isn't about anymore but my goal is to buy as closer model to this as possible when if something becomes available.
An excellent idea! I did exactly that a few years back when I returned to motorcycling and it was a wonderful way to re-connect with my late father.
There's a thread somewhere back on this board with my version of your story.

Anyway, the unexpected bonus has been to make a whole new load of friends with whom to seek advice, go for rides and generally have a jolly good time!
clive wrote:If you want to buy a lookalike I would go for a 46 or 47 Matchless G3L and you will probably get something very close to the photo. There is a 47 500 AJS for sale on the club Kettering Classics website for 5k, a 350 would be a bit cheaper.
Does that constitute advertising I wonder? Where are the adverts Police when you need them :D

Coincidently, that's where my Model 16 came from :)

Good luck with your search and enjoy the rewards.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
clive

Post by clive »

clive wrote:If you want to buy a lookalike I would go for a 46 or 47 Matchless G3L and you will probably get something very close to the photo. There is a 47 500 AJS for sale on the club Kettering Classics website for 5k, a 350 would be a bit cheaper.
Does that constitute advertising I wonder? Where are the adverts Police when you need them :D

The Advertising Police never intervene when the club spares scheme or Kettering Classice are being recommended!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

clive wrote:The Advertising Police never intervene when the club spares scheme or Kettering Classice are being recommended!
Just like the BBC then Clive :rofl: :rofl:
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: