oil tank gauze filter .. Model 31 1959

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Joker_Bones

Re: oil tank gauze filter .. Model 31 1959

Post by Joker_Bones »

Groily wrote: ↑Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:21 pm Must be a bit of plumbing in the filter head I presume, to send the slime on its merry way towards the centre main, distributor bush etc?
I remember taking it out years ago to see what was going on in there. But... Like so many things now, I cannot remember the details.
I looked to see if I had any photos, but my use of Google photos didn't go back that far, so if I took any they are on some long dead phone.
I don't however remember it being particularly complicated and looking at it now does make me wonder what has happened to the non-return valve πŸ€”
One thing for sure is that the oil in my G12 stays the same colour as when it went in for much much longer than on my other bikes!
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

Joker_Bones wrote: ↑Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:12 pm I think it's like this, depends what type of oil tank you have...
Some tanks have two tubes sticking out of the bottom, on these the filter is just pushed up the one of the tubes.
Other tanks have one tube and a threaded hole, these have a screw in filter like so
IMG_20220927_135713.jpg
I remember I had confusion with the tank with two tubes as to which tube was which πŸ€”
my matchless doesn't have one of these, 1953 g3l 350 single, I wanted to clean it but I can't see how one of these would fit in the small pipe coming from the back oil line (return pipe to crankcase I believe?)
clive

Post by clive »

Wayne Cole wrote: ↑Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:04 pm
Joker_Bones wrote: ↑Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:12 pm I think it's like this, depends what type of oil tank you have...
Some tanks have two tubes sticking out of the bottom, on these the filter is just pushed up the one of the tubes.
Other tanks have one tube and a threaded hole, these have a screw in filter like so
IMG_20220927_135713.jpg
I remember I had confusion with the tank with two tubes as to which tube was which πŸ€”
my matchless doesn't have one of these, 1953 g3l 350 single, I wanted to clean it but I can't see how one of these would fit in the small pipe coming from the back oil line (return pipe to crankcase I believe?)
Wayne the push in line filter goes in the feed line from the tank. It pushes up into the tank to keep the supply clear of any sludge that may have accumulated there. Despite the very knowledgeable ajscomboman saying it is for 55-62 it is listed in the parts list for your 53 G3L part number 015198 and seems to have been listed from 52, at least for the singles. Perhaps a further update is needed Rob. :rofl:
ajscomboman wrote: ↑Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:29 pm All sorted, appears the filter description was incorrectly listed as the gauze filter fits all oil tank feed pipes 1955-62 inc 63 CSR models.
:headbang:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: ↑Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:37 pm
Wayne Cole wrote: ↑Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:04 pm
IMG_20220927_135713.jpg
Wayne the push in line filter goes in the feed line from the tank. It pushes up into the tank to keep the supply clear of any sludge that may have accumulated there. Despite the very knowledgeable ajscomboman saying it is for 55-62 it is listed in the parts list for your 53 G3L part number 015198 and seems to have been listed from 52, at least for the singles. Perhaps a further update is needed Rob. :rofl:
ajscomboman wrote: ↑Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:29 pm All sorted, appears the filter description was incorrectly listed as the gauze filter fits all oil tank feed pipes 1955-62 inc 63 CSR models.
so it's in there somewhere or was listed wrongly?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Wayne Cole wrote: ↑Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:12 pm
Wayne Cole wrote: ↑Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:04 pm my matchless doesn't have one of these, 1953 g3l 350 single, I wanted to clean it but I can't see how one of these would fit in the small pipe coming from the back oil line (return pipe to crankcase I believe?)

As Clive has mentioned it is listed as being fitted from 52 but research shows it does depend on what tank is fitted, however lets say that from 52 there is a filter fitted to the feed pipe if the tank is correct for year and model. Can't be more specific than that.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

ajscomboman wrote: ↑Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:01 pm
Wayne Cole wrote: ↑Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:12 pm

As Clive has mentioned it is listed as being fitted from 52 but research shows it does depend on what tank is fitted, however lets say that from 52 there is a filter fitted to the feed pipe if the tank is correct for year and model. Can't be more specific than that.
you can't have it all! I was the runt of the 7 children...
clive

Post by clive »

ajscomboman wrote: ↑Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:01 pm As Clive has mentioned it is listed as being fitted from 52 but research shows it does depend on what tank is fitted, however lets say that from 52 there is a filter fitted to the feed pipe if the tank is correct for year and model. Can't be more specific than that.
Good point Rob, of my three singles only one has the correct oil tank for the year! :headbang:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix