Float chambers

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Tazmantic

Float chambers

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi thought I’d put this question here how critical are getting the correct number float chamber as listed by Amal. I’m after a 22/079 and to be fair this means not much to me except maybe the 22 is the model?? With all my bikes I seem to be able to find the correct number carb but not float chamber.

Cheers
Everyday’s a learning curve.
clive

Re: Float chambers

Post by clive »

Some pre monobloc float chamber arms are angled because the bike has the carb at an angle. Provided it is the correct angle or straight for your bike i doubt there is a lot of difference but its a while since i have had one on a bike.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tazmantic wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:04 am ....... float chamber as listed by Amal. I’m after a 22/079
There are many different styles of float bowls, e.g. there are 20 listed here.......

https://amalcarb.co.uk/pre-monobloc/74- ... bowls.html

Where did you find the number 22/079? It's not what is given in the AMAL spec'n sheet here......

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Car ... 0-1954.pdf

As you are no doubt aware the separate float bowl carb was only fitted up to August 1954 on the G3LS and 16MS.
Your '55 G3LS (if that is the bike to which your question refers) is the first year that a Monobloc was fitted to that model. The 1955 spec'n models (i.e. with Monobloc carb) were introduced in Sept 1954.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

If the float chamber is not vertical the needle can stick and stop the flow. So get the right one or get a monobloc thats right for your bike
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Sorry guys I should of said it was just a general question about float chambers as it’s for my 33/12, I’ve now discovered it was a small type with a 23° back crank but they stopped making them so I presume the head inlet was then changed to angled so a straight float chamber could be used.

Cheers
Everyday’s a learning curve.