do I have to remove engine to get cylinder barrel and piston out?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
SPRIDDLER

Re: do I have to remove engine to get cylinder barrel and piston out?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yes, it's o.k. to mention suppliers (It's how we add to knowledge) and if receiving good service to put details in the 'Recommendations' forum.

A good mag should produce (ideally) a blue 'ish spark at kickstart speed that will jump at gap of say, 5mm wide. A weak spark can also be due to a dodgy plug or poor contact with the plug cap, dirty mag slip ring, ineffective carbon brush/spring, failing condenser, dirty c/b points.....

The mag produces the most powerful spark when the h/bar A/R lever is set at full advance. Since one normally retards the ignition for starting the weaker spark from a below par mag can make starting difficult.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:06 am Yes, it's o.k. to mention suppliers (It's how we add to knowledge) and if receiving good service to put details in the 'Recommendations' forum.

A good mag should produce (ideally) a blue 'ish spark at kickstart speed that will jump at gap of say, 5mm wide. A weak spark can also be due to a dodgy plug or poor contact with the plug cap, dirty mag slip ring, ineffective carbon brush/spring, failing condenser, dirty c/b points.....

The mag produces the most powerful spark when the h/bar A/R lever is set at full advance. Since one normally retards the ignition for starting the weaker spark from a below par mag can make starting difficult.
work has begun mate! how/where do I remove pushrods which nut is it? I assume I have to remove these before removing head? so is it top nut or bottom two? I will restore this bike!
20220921_190712.jpg
20220921_191504.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

page 24 onward covers dismantling the engine

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf

once you remove the bolts holding the rocker cover on , you can tilt the cover to remove push rods
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

g80csp11 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:35 pm page 24 onward covers dismantling the engine

once you remove the bolts holding the rocker cover on , you can tilt the cover to remove push rods
nice! ok cheers.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

g80csp11 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:35 pm page 24 onward covers dismantling the engine

any idea where to get a valve spring removal/replacer tool?
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

blunder removed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wayne Cole on Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

wayne brainache wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:39 pm
wayne brainache wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:35 pm

any idea where to get a valve spring removal/replacer tool? just checked actually, I need a compressor maybe depending on the actual issue, i see someone on the forum has made their own compression tool
compression tool.jpg
clive

Post by clive »

Wayne it is time you explored the club parts service.
https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... tegory=127
this link takes you to the relevant page. There are two types of extractor, the c shaped one is for earlier machines which have springs the ends of which are retained in tray. The later straight type is for bikes with an open tray for the ends of the springs. I imagine yours as a 1953 model will need the later one.

Your engine should have hairpin springs rather than coiled ones so they extractors are different to traditional ones. I imagine the homemade one you show is for the earlier springs retained in the tray. The later type is quick to use you just lever up or down, having inserted a suitable bolt through the holes.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:50 pm Wayne it is time you explored the club parts service.
https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... tegory=127
this link takes you to the relevant page. There are two types of extractor, the c shaped one is for earlier machines which have springs the ends of which are retained in tray. The later straight type is for bikes with an open tray for the ends of the springs. I imagine yours as a 1953 model will need the later one.

Your engine should have hairpin springs rather than coiled ones so they extractors are different to traditional ones. I imagine the homemade one you show is for the earlier springs retained in the tray. The later type is quick to use you just lever up or down, having inserted a suitable bolt through the holes.
thanks mate, do I have a problem here with the screw holding the exhaust in to cylinder? it looks shredded to me! my only option then would be to either drill it out or take part of the exhaust out with cylinder right or is these something inside I am missing? as for store yes I have bought a few bits already cheers.
20220921_204719.jpg
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The screw is non-standard added by a previous owner to keep the exhaust in, it is normally a push fit.