do I have to remove engine to get cylinder barrel and piston out?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Wayne Cole

do I have to remove engine to get cylinder barrel and piston out?

Post by Wayne Cole »

plus, how do I post pictures directly in here? the question is as simple as that, on my 1953 macthless g3l 350 single, can I remove the cylinder barrel and piston etc without taking the engine out? it looks like a squeeze for sure. cheers very much.
clive

Re: do I have to remove engine to get cylinder barrel and piston out?

Post by clive »

short answer yes there is room. Do remember to slide a clean cloth under the barrel before you lift it off in case your problem is the broken piston ring or loose gudgeon pin.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

to post photos click on Full editor and preview at the bottom, then attachments and follow the process
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:48 pm short answer yes there is room. Do remember to slide a clean cloth under the barrel before you lift it off in case your problem is the broken piston ring or loose gudgeon pin.
ah that's great news! yeah I have researched so much into this process before I carry it out. took the bike out for a spin yesterday, I realised that I actually have a 4 speed gearbox, sweet! the bike rides really nice, got up to 60 mph and it wanted to do more. you may say if you have an issue with engine I shouldn't be riding it, well I know my issue is not a big one, I listen to the bike I know this is something small. I took out the oil filter from oil tank last night, hahaha the thing was choked to death! even that could be my issue? will take out the gauze in oil pipe under tank tomorrow and soak it in petrol so then I know filters are clean! new carb coming very soon (shout out to classic bike parts Cheshire) those guys are great. sending my dynamo off to a place in uk to get reconditioned, I took chain off for the moment it scared me quite a lot when I actually saw the dynamo out of the bike it was an accident waiting to happen. I'm really glad I am getting a response on here I almost felt a little disheartened at first, look you enthusiast's! you don't get someone more enthusiastic about these kinda bikes than I am right now, it's pure love and I am determined to make this thing good as new eventually. please look at it now, mudguards were removed and dent's taken out and re-painted, primary chain case removed and re-shaped (twice) once after primary chain bounced up and hit the silly inspection hole cover, the metal clasp thing at the back of it, knew then the chain was way too loose so had to learn about moving clutch boxes back! bolts did not want to move so I got a metal rod and sledge hammer and banged it back. anyway here she is, probably my one true love apart from my two year old. cheers clive you sir are a legend, I am now a member.
20220829_165835.jpg
20220907_151657.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Looks great. I share your excitement. Those iconic rigids with the low saddle height and the 350's with their wide torque range are a smiley relaxing ride.
wayne brainache wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:02 pm .......sending my dynamo off to a place in uk to get reconditioned, I took chain off for the moment it scared me quite a lot when I actually saw the dynamo out of the bike it was an accident waiting to happen.
A word of caution.
When you refit the dynamo you must ensure that its aligned laterally so that its chain can't clash with the primary chain or its likely to break causing all manner of serious damage.

The dynamo should have an adjustable alignment bracket but check that it's correctly positioned. If there isn't one (many haven't been refitted by PO's) mark the correct alignment position on the dynamo because after you have refitted the primary chaincase you won't be able to see inside to check.

Dynamo alignment bracket.......
Dynamo alignment strip.jpg
These are the correct nut, lockwasher and circlip for securing the sprocket.......

2018-01-24 Dynamo nut, washer, circlip 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:22 pm Looks great. I share your excitement. Those iconic rigids with the low saddle height and the 350's with their wide torque range are a smiley relaxing ride.
wayne brainache wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:02 pm .......sending my dynamo off to a place in uk to get reconditioned, I took chain off for the moment it scared me quite a lot when I actually saw the dynamo out of the bike it was an accident waiting to happen.
A word of caution.
When you refit the dynamo you must ensure that its aligned laterally so that its chain can't clash with the primary chain or its likely to break causing all manner of serious damage.

The dynamo should have an adjustable alignment bracket but check that it's correctly positioned. If there isn't one (many haven't been refitted by PO's) mark the correct alignment position on the dynamo because after you have refitted the primary chaincase you won't be able to see inside to check.

These are the correct nut, lockwasher and circlip for securing the sprocket.......

mate cheers, yes my dynamo has a keyway like the one pictured making it fit in the frame the right way no room for error. had it out put it back in no problem. please may I ask you, what are my chances of finding one of these?
20220920_181722.jpg
20220920_181732.jpg
wait! not to worry found one! leave the badgers out of it.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:22 pm Looks great. I share your excitement. Those iconic rigids with the low saddle height and the 350's with their wide torque range are a smiley relaxing ride.
A word of caution.

oh ang on a minute, it's adjustable!? I didn't notice that at first but now you mention it I will certainly make sure it's right. cheers for saving me some trouble there. ;)
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

A word of caution.

strange, I would have noticed that but mine is not adjustable?
Resized_20220902_010811.jpeg
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

wayne brainache wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:39 pm strange, I would have noticed that but mine is not adjustable? Resized_20220902_010811.jpeg
It could be a home-made one but best to check that it still aligns the chain o.k.

(The magneto HT pick-up carbon brush, spring and the Bakelite holder are still available).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:59 pm
wayne brainache wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:39 pm strange, I would have noticed that but mine is not adjustable? Resized_20220902_010811.jpeg
It could be a home-made one but best to check that it still aligns the chain o.k.

(The magneto HT pick-up carbon brush, spring and the Bakelite holder are still available).
I think it's ok? I'll double check, already had the clutch chain break in case destroying it, somehow managed to get that water tight again? need rubber gasket and band helped a lot. seems I might have a weak mag, spark from plug when resting on cylinder is orange, should be blue right? don't know if I am allowed to place companies here but this company I'm getting my dynamo refurbished also does mags it seems. http://www.vehicle-electrical-rewinds.c ... edback.php is an orange spark responsible for my bad idling I wonder? but again it rides perfectly fine until I stop but it could be a number of things really, carb for a start.