do I have to remove engine to get cylinder barrel and piston out?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Wayne Cole

Re: do I have to remove engine to get cylinder barrel and piston out?

Post by Wayne Cole »

Duncan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:26 pm The screw is non-standard added by a previous owner to keep the exhaust in, it is normally a push fit.
thanks Duncan, I tried twisting it out carefully but it would budge! I guess I will just have to take off silencer from exhaust and remove cylinder with it attached? should be ok right?
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Or drill for an extractor. Or just drill the whole thing out.

Assuming you've already tried heat, penetrating oil, and some moderate tapping with "Tool, Light Adjusting"
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
clive

Post by clive »

The bolt is not really necessary. If the exhaust pipe is loose in the head the correct procedure is to well the end of it out. The recommended way is with a hardwood carrot shaped insert. I have a similar item made of steel and hammer it into the pipe. Before this I got away with inserting a long rod into the pipe and then winding it round and round until it had just welled out the end a bit. So if you have to drill out the bolt it is not really a problem.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

Andy G wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:21 am Or drill for an extractor. Or just drill the whole thing out.

Assuming you've already tried heat, penetrating oil, and some moderate tapping with "Tool, Light Adjusting"
heat penetrating oil will be my next step, great advice thanks very much.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:37 am The bolt is not really necessary. If the exhaust pipe is loose in the head the correct procedure is to well the end of it out. The recommended way is with a hardwood carrot shaped insert. I have a similar item made of steel and hammer it into the pipe. Before this I got away with inserting a long rod into the pipe and then winding it round and round until it had just welled out the end a bit. So if you have to drill out the bolt it is not really a problem.
thank you sir!