help me find these piston rings please

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Wayne Cole

help me find these piston rings please

Post by Wayne Cole »

1953 matchless G3L 350 single, no idea if it's been rebored but I have been advised to buy the standard rings, I would like to buy the oversized just incase it needs to be rebored. for some reason I'm having trouble finding them? do they have the oil seal behind the ring? I would really appreciate this as it's the last piece of the puzzle to getting the bike on the road again. cheers here are the measurements I would like both sets - Pistons and rings :·020 in. and ·040 in. oversize
clive

Re: help me find these piston rings please

Post by clive »

Wayne we do not allow adverts in the main forum and this is very close to a wanted ad, there is a section for adverts but it is reserved for paid up members. You could place an advert in the magazine and on the website, free for members £5 for guests. I have allowed the post through in the hope that someone will point you in the direction of a dealer who may be able to help. However I think it very likely you are going to have to specify the make of the piston. There is no oil seal behind the rings, although the bottom ring is a wider oil scraper ring. I am unclear why you are thinking of buying oversize rings if you have a standard piston. If you need a rebore you are going to have to buy the next size up piston and this should come with its own rings.
Adverts Editor
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:41 pm Wayne we do not allow adverts in the main forum and this is very close to a wanted ad, there is a section for adverts but it is reserved for paid up members. You could place an advert in the magazine and on the website, free for members £5 for guests. I have allowed the post through in the hope that someone will point you in the direction of a dealer who may be able to help. However I think it very likely you are going to have to specify the make of the piston. There is no oil seal behind the rings, although the bottom ring is a wider oil scraper ring. I am unclear why you are thinking of buying oversize rings if you have a standard piston. If you need a rebore you are going to have to buy the next size up piston and this should come with its own rings.
Adverts Editor
my apologies! I don't know what to say apart from it's just help needed. thank you I do hope I get the help I need. regards
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:41 pm Wayne we do not allow adverts in the main forum and this is very close to a wanted ad, there is a section for adverts but it is reserved for paid up members. You could place an advert in the magazine and on the website, free for members £5 for guests. I have allowed the post through in the hope that someone will point you in the direction of a dealer who may be able to help. However I think it very likely you are going to have to specify the make of the piston. There is no oil seal behind the rings, although the bottom ring is a wider oil scraper ring. I am unclear why you are thinking of buying oversize rings if you have a standard piston. If you need a rebore you are going to have to buy the next size up piston and this should come with its own rings.
Adverts Editor
really having spent a grand on parts already just to have the standard piston rings would help me sleep better at night, they seem to be evading me! called 3 classic bike shops to no avail, dave from Mitchell's Classics who has kindly advised me a lot recently (he is a great bloke) said if anything get the standard size rings, I don't even know if my "getting too much oil" problem is related to the piston, it could be valve guides and or valves themselves, seeing how much I love the bike I bought both valve and vale guides anyway (always good to have around right?) bought a new carb new chains you name it I have bought it just for that day I get a chance to go in the garage and carry out the work, I want everything there, it's giving me even more grey hair!
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

ring Cox and Turner who will do a set of rings for you , to any size you request
You will need to know what pistons you have ie size , type , original or pattern metric etc..
They will be all cast iron most likely but good for 10K+ miles
https://www.coxandturner.co.uk/piston-rings/
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

g80csp11 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:02 pm ring Cox and Turner who will do a set of rings for you , to any size you request
You will need to know what pistons you have ie size , type , original or pattern metric etc..
They will be all cast iron most likely but good for 10K+ miles
https://www.coxandturner.co.uk/piston-rings/
mate I can't thank you enough very very much appreciated. I have the original manual and of course there are a few online so I know exactly the piston size, it's here if you want a look? - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11424 ... e=8#manual again I'm actually relieved I got an answer. all the best mate. but I guess that link isn't enough to go on so I'm just going to have to take it out and look.
Last edited by Wayne Cole on Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive

Post by clive »

I think before buying any rings you will need to remove the barrel, and see what piston you have and what state it and the barrel are in. High oil consumption could be simply from wear, these engines will carry on for ever, if the ring gaps are too great they will reduce compression and allow oil to bypass. It could also be because one or more rings has become trapped in the ring groove due to an overheating seizure. It could be the result of a gudgeon pin circlip giving up the ghost and the pin putting a groove down the barrel. I have had all these problems on my singles over the years. Good luck
clive
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:24 pm I think before buying any rings you will need to remove the barrel, and see what piston you have and what state it and the barrel are in. High oil consumption could be simply from wear, these engines will carry on for ever, if the ring gaps are too great they will reduce compression and allow oil to bypass. It could also be because one or more rings has become trapped in the ring groove due to an overheating seizure. It could be the result of a gudgeon pin circlip giving up the ghost and the pin putting a groove down the barrel. I have had all these problems on my singles over the years. Good luck
do you think it best to replace gudgeon pin circlip with a standard circlip?
clive

Post by clive »

Best to use the correct circlip for the piston. The usual advice is to replace the circlip each time it is removed. Personally I have never bothered (and the damage to the barrel referred to above was not of my doing before you comment Spriddler!).
clive
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:14 am Best to use the correct circlip for the piston. The usual advice is to replace the circlip each time it is removed. Personally I have never bothered (and the damage to the barrel referred to above was not of my doing before you comment Spriddler!).
No Clive, sadly I can't.
A circlip came adrift on the ride back from the Cornwall Jampot rally. It did start to smoke a bit during the last 100 miles. The PO had used a round (wire) section circlip in my 350 instead of a correct stamped-out square section one. (The circlip's locating groove in the piston was square section).
I either had a new liner fitted or obtained a new cylinder. In either case I would have had to fit a new piston.

(Ah, I don't think Wayne will be able to see the photo).

P3 Scored cylinder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'