AJS M31 .. left exhaust v sooty .. right exhaust clean

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
SPRIDDLER

Re: AJS M31 .. left exhaust v sooty .. right exhaust clean

Post by SPRIDDLER »

In an earlier post you mentioned that the left pipe was crusted up and the right side was clean but I wouldn't take much notice of that - as others have said, you don't know for how long the right pipe has been in use.

As far as the plugs go, both of them look far too sooty for my liking. The outer steel rims of plugs always get a bit black but both of those central electrode insulators are way too sooty (which adds to my suspicion that the 'clean' right side pipe hasn't been fitted for very long).

EDIT -
I was thinking so maybe I should have written (ref the plugs) a caveat that you don't know how (or IF) the bike has been used since it was 'restored' :? by the PO. I don't think you've ridden it yet so unless you've ridden it on the open road for 40 or 50 miles with new plugs they may be misleading you. It's quite possible that the PO had only been starting it up at home from time to time or been demonstrating the bike to other potential buyers - starting it on choke and leaving it ticking over (on the pilot jet) on several occasions.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Taid

Re: AJS M31 .. left exhaust v sooty .. right exhaust clean

Post by Taid »

Thank you, S.

As I said, I'm putting further investigation on the back burner for a while .. got to check out the carb for correct jets, needle etc ..

Don't think it has been ridden much since restore and I've only done a few hundred yards (just so that I can say I've ridden it) .. both pipes look brand new from the outside .. no discoloration of the chrome ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987