Clutch problems Matchless G 9 1955

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MikeCrook

Clutch problems Matchless G 9 1955

Post by MikeCrook »

I have just purchased a Matchless G9 1955 , having problems with the clutch.

The clutch will allow the kickstarter to freely move when in neutral, but not when in gear , on futher adjustment of the cable the operating lever sticks inside the gear housing , but still no release of the gears !

What do I need to adjust please ? As the clutch is different than my Burman one on the ariel.

I am applying for membership now.

Thanks
SPRIDDLER

Re: Clutch problems Matchless G 9 1955

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MikeCrook wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:52 pm I have just purchased a Matchless G9 1955 , having problems with the clutch.

Welcome to the club.
It would normally be a Burman B52 'box on a '55.
The clutch will allow the kickstarter to freely move when in neutral, but not when in gear ,
That's how it should be. When in gear the bike will move forward when the k/s is operated.
..on further adjustment of the cable the operating lever sticks inside the gear housing , but still no release of the gears !

What do I need to adjust please ?
You need to adjust the clutch.
Adjusting the cable only adjusts the cable. It does not adjust the clutch.

It sounds to me that the balls inside the clutch release operating discs are over-running their ramps.
You need to disconnect the clutch cable nipple from the lever inside the inspection/oil filler hole and then adjust the clutch thrust rod at the pressure plate.

In the following link to the Owners Manual for your bike you will find a description and the instructions for adjusting the clutch on pages 37 and 42:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

These are the clutch release discs and balls.......

Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

+1 for Spriddler's response.

JohnnyB
MikeCrook

Post by MikeCrook »

Thanks for the advice and link. Spriddler
MikeCrook

Re: Clutch problems continued Matchless G 9 1955

Post by MikeCrook »

Tried clutch adustment no improvement, however, on removal the plates were covered in oil and stuck togeather.

Some wear noticable , do I clean them or buy a new clutch ? If so where from please.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

you can wash then in brake cleaner spay from halfords etc,, , as long as the steel plates are flat and friction material all there you should be OK
I usually clean then just roughen slightly on sheet of sand paper/ wet & dry to key the surface
Neville was right about the actuator plate / balls if going over the ramp the parts are available
SPRIDDLER

Re: Clutch problems continued Matchless G 9 1955

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ah, so the clutch wasn't freeing at all, at any time. I was mislead by your symptom that it failed to free when you operated the kickstarter so I assume you haven't been able to ride the bike at all yet.
Still, at least you'll now know your way around the clutch. ;)
MikeCrook

Post by MikeCrook »

I haven't ridden the bike yet. I bought it as fully working from the dealer !

I thought it was just adjustment as it released the kickstart when in neutral , but not when in gear.

I have an ariel with a dry clutch , so wrongly I thought a wet clutch would have oil in it ?

Can I wash the plates in petrol ? If not I will get some brake cleaner.

Thanks all.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MikeCrook wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:53 pm I haven't ridden the bike yet. I bought it as fully working from the dealer !
Fingers crossed the rest is o.k.
I thought it was just adjustment as it released the kickstart when in neutral , but not when in gear.
Did you mean that in Neutral with clutch lever pulled in it released the kickstart so that you could depress it without the engine turning over? That is how it should be.

I have an ariel with a dry clutch , so wrongly I thought a wet clutch would have oil in it ?
The chaincase has oil in it to lubricate the primary chain, the drive axle shock absorber components and the roller bearings in the clutch basket. The oil and oil mist inevitably due to the design gets on the plates but isn't a problem.
Can I wash the plates in petrol ? If not I will get some brake cleaner.
It'll do if you don't have an accessory shop nearby.

When you refill the primary chaincase only put in sufficient oil to just touch the underside of the lower run of the chain. I've always used straight SAE 30 but I've heard of others using ATF (for whatever reason I don't know). Don't cut corners and put multigrade in there as I understand that it has friction reducing additives which you don't want on your clutch plates.
MikeCrook

Re: now broken kick start lever problems Matchless G 9 1955

Post by MikeCrook »

Thanks all.
Clutch working well now, damn kickstart lever snaped, I've looked on line no luck and ebay do not give enough details to be sure of fit , any ideas ?

Regards
Mike