'59 m31 .. stiff kickstart ..

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

'59 m31 .. stiff kickstart ..

Post by Taid »

The kickstart lever on the new purchase doesn't return to the up position under its own power ..

Guy at shop said that the return spring hadn't been given enough turns on assembly .. wasn't arguing as I know nowt about it yet, but I have my doubts now..

The lever is quite stiff to move .. it does disengage as the engine starts but then doesn't return to the stop. Once lifted it stays at the stop,

Hard to describe really ..

But before I start investigating, what should I expect.

The 16ms kickstart seems free as you push it to engage but the m31 just feels tight ,.
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
bitza

Re: '59 m31 .. stiff kickstart ..

Post by bitza »

You could ease the screws around the cover this might show if the shaft is binding in the bush, or it could be the spring not wound enough, there is is a article in technical tips regards fitting a spring on a AMC gearbox.
Taid

Re: '59 m31 .. stiff kickstart ..

Post by Taid »

Thank you B .

Somewhere to start .. have looked (glanced) through the books and haven't seen anything about winding the spring so more reading is needed ..

I'm away for 10 days or so, and when I get back I hope I can make a start at getting my 16ms back up and running and will then have space on the bench to look at the m31 .

Thanks again ..

T .
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987