Another Amal issue!

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
SPRIDDLER

Re: Another Amal issue!

Post by SPRIDDLER »

G3L1946 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am Hi Spriddler,
I thought I would just check the valve timing if it only meant removing the housing to expose the cams. See if the correct dots/ numbers line up?
Take care when opening the housing or the cams may come out with the cover and you'll never have the satisfaction of knowing whether or not they were previously set correctly. :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Good point! Will be extra careful!
Steve
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

G3L1946 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am Hi Spriddler,
Thanks for info. The springs look a bit suspect in as much as they look quite new but not very substantial. Possibly another quick fix previously performed? I’ve ordered replacements to make sure. The mechanism sticks slightly more in certain positions so a clean may be all that is needed. While attending to this I thought I would just check the valve timing if it only meant removing the housing to expose the cams. See if the correct dots/ numbers line up? I’ve encountered so many ‘ not quite right’ with this restoration that checking this would at least settle my mind that it was correct.

Post script.

Just read through link, very helpful, thank you. It would appear that I just need to ensure dots follow as per article and all should be fine. No need to remove cams , just check.
Regards,
Steve
Generally one or both cams will try to escape with the cover so you will probably have to replace as per the article rather than seeing where they actually were
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,
The slightest of taps with the hammer when the bolt stopped undoing. Carried on with a bit more pressure with the ring spanner and, hey presto- removed. Ive soaked it in Gunk and given it a good clean up with my trusty old toothbrush!. Loads of grease and strange debris (non metal) came out and is already a lot free in movement. Plenty of spray oil and await arrival of replacement springs.
Noted re care when removing housing as cams may want to go walkies!
Cheers,

Steve