Amal float adjustment 376

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
G3L1946

Amal float adjustment 376

Post by G3L1946 »

Good morning all, and a happy new year!
Just finished the restoration of my 1955 G3LS and discovered an issue when priming the Amal. Holding down the ‘tickler’ results in leaking from around it and , it appears, through the air intake. I’m assuming that the bowl is overfilling? I understand that it should only fill 80 - 90 % .
Can anyone give me directions as how to adjust the float level if my assumption is correct?
Carburettor seems to be functioning correctly otherwise.

Regards,

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Re: Amal float adjustment 376

Post by SPRIDDLER »

G3L1946 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:06 am Holding down the ‘tickler’ results in leaking from around it and , it appears, through the air intake. I’m assuming that the bowl is overfilling?
That's quite normal. The tickler is only there to richen the fuel/air mix for cold starting. See page 9 ('Starting from Cold') in the Owners Manual here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf

By holding down the tickler you are preventing the float from lifting up and shutting off the petrol supply.
As long as it doesn't carry on flooding when you release the tickler it's fine.

When the float (27) floats up it closes the fuel supply valve (26). If you prevent the float from lifting up by using the tickler fuel will continue to flow, spilling (overflowing) from the tickler and carb intake until the petrol tank is empty.
Monobloc float chamber.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Re: Amal float adjustment 376

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Spriddler,

Much obliged for your reply. I was a bit concerned that the carburettor may continue to flood or impacted with the operation of it.
Just sorting out the mixture as it’s running a bit weak ( a few pops from carb ) which should be easily rectified. After complete strip down engine fired after third kick and ran. Bit of smoke at first, check oil return and , after a bit of a nervous delay, oil returned.

Regards,

Steve