650CSR LUBRICATION

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
toyota

650CSR LUBRICATION

Post by toyota »

I have just joined.My questions are
1]30 or 40 SAE oil for normal all year running?
2]how do you check oil level,make up a dipstick?
3]multigrade vs. monograde
Stay Safe
toyota

Re: 650CSR valve seats

Post by toyota »

I have standad valve seats for use with leaded petrol.Do owners advise an additive?
clive

Re: 650CSR valve seats

Post by clive »

toyota wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:10 pm I have standad valve seats for use with leaded petrol.Do owners advise an additive?
This one does not, been using standard unleaded on a G11CS for 15000 miles and no real sign of valve recession. I use a multigrade and an anti-sumping in-line oil tap WITH a linked ignition cutout. I moved to multigrade to stop oil leaks around the oil filter tunnel during cold start up but then found it wet sumped quicker!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Groily

Re: 650CSR LUBRICATION

Post by Groily »

Nor does this one.
My Mod 20 has done many tens of thousands of miles with negligible recession, I probably check the valve clearances every 5000 miles if that, and they seldom vary.. Ditto on a 650 that's done fewer miles, ditto on a couple of other machines of similar age with Notrun engines, and ditto for an iron-head A10 that did upwards of 50K miles in my hands before selling it on.
Multigrade 20/50 in all of them, taps with ignition cut-outs same as, and for same reasons as, Clive.
For checking oil level - looking in the tank (after the motor has run for a few miles to get any wet-sumped oil back) is pretty much all you need to do. I keep mine topped up to within an inch or so of the outlet for the return in the tank - ie pretty full. I like 'full', for cooling as much as anything and never let the level drop anywhere near where some oil tanks have their minimum marked. Gets a bit hot and thin hot in summer when you're a quart down . . . .
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum, does your CSR have one of the 63 oil tanks as I believe checking the oil level can be a bit of a challenge with those.

Wot oil is normally down to personal preference, the theory is that twins with their shell bearings and higher oil pressure should have an easier lifer with multi-grade (consider fitting an inline oil filter with multi-grade) but mono-grade bikes are quite happy too, I would probably go for SAE40 or SAE50 if that is your preference. There is no real right and wrong I have one twin running multi-grade and another on mono-grade.

Valve seats as stated above appear quite happy on unleaded without additives.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:21 pm Hi Peter, welcome to the forum, does your CSR have one of the 63 oil tanks as I believe checking the oil level can be a bit of a challenge with those.

Wot oil is normally down to personal preference, the theory is that twins with their shell bearings and higher oil pressure should have an easier lifer with multi-grade (consider fitting an inline oil filter with multi-grade) but mono-grade bikes are quite happy too, I would probably go for SAE40 or SAE50 if that is your preference. There is no real right and wrong I have one twin running multi-grade and another on mono-grade.

It shouldn't be a later type oil tank on a 63 CSR Duncan, that was for the tourers of that year. The 63CSR stuck with the full slab sided earlier design and thinner 7/8" brakes as well. Marvellous idea for a bike that was meant to be sportier than the tourer!
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ajscomboman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:05 pm
Duncan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:21 pm Hi Peter, welcome to the forum, does your CSR have one of the 63 oil tanks as I believe checking the oil level can be a bit of a challenge with those.

It shouldn't be a later type oil tank on a 63 CSR Duncan, that was for the tourers of that year. The 63CSR stuck with the full slab sided earlier design and thinner 7/8" brakes as well. Marvellous idea for a bike that was meant to be sportier than the tourer!
Hi Rob, I am aware of that and only wanted to point out that the tanks were introduced in 1963, I don't know the age of the bike in question but thought that later CSR's used the later oil tanks? I should have probably explained that further.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:43 pm
ajscomboman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:05 pm

Hi Rob, I am aware of that and only wanted to point out that the tanks were introduced in 1963, I don't know the age of the bike in question but thought that later CSR's used the later oil tanks? I should have probably explained that further.
Yes you should have! I'll slap your wrist when I see you! :D And yes from 64 on the CSR followed suit and had that awful tank that's bloody near impossible to judge the level.
clive

Post by clive »

Hi David its best to put details of your bike in your profile then the boys won't get into a spat. More seriously it helps us to give better advice.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

clive wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:14 pm Hi David its best to put details of your bike in your profile then the boys won't get into a spat. More seriously it helps us to give better advice.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: