Fitting Front Indicators to G12 CSR

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AFPU

Fitting Front Indicators to G12 CSR

Post by AFPU »

Hi and Happy New Year to everyone.

I am looking at fitting front indicators to my Matchless G12 CSR and have purchased a set of universal indicators from Paul Goff and am seeking some guidance on how best to fit/mount them.

The plan was to use the headlamp shell mounting points to install the indicators. However, whilst the bolts are both ~8mm the threads are different; the original headlamp shell bolts being much finer. So I am thinking there may be a couple of options, a) remove the captive nut within the headlamp shell; b) reem out the existing captive nut to allow the 8mm metric stud to pass through; or c) try and modify the universal indicator to have a matching thread stud that can screw into the captive nut.

But as always I would welcome any words of wisdom from those who have fitted indicators before.
Gary
"Any fool can make things complicated but it takes a genius to make things simple"
Taid

Re: Fitting Front Indicators to G12 CSR

Post by Taid »

On my 16ms I have fitted mirrors with built in led indicators .. the bike is converted to 12v ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
clive

Post by clive »

I used a different option as there were holes already drilled in the headlight ears by a previous owner. Keeps the original fitment and the holes could be filled if there is a future change
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

On my G9 I replaced the torpedo side lights with small led lights from Paul Goff.
I removed the original bolts and used the complete light units including shaft and locating nuts inside the headlamp shell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam
AFPU

Post by AFPU »

So Samuel, did you replace the captive nut inside the headlamp shell then?
Gary
"Any fool can make things complicated but it takes a genius to make things simple"
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

AFPU wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:12 am So Samuel, did you replace the captive nut inside the headlamp shell then?
Its a few years now so cannot remember the details and I no longer own the G9.
But I would say yes I did - as can be seen in the photo.
Sam
Taid

Post by Taid »

Having seen so many cars with the front flashers mounted close to the headlights and being difficult to see. I opted for flashers in the mirrors, so they would be more visible .. ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

AFPU wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:12 am So Samuel, did you replace the captive nut inside the headlamp shell then?
The headlight shell that has the torpedo sidelights does not have captative nuts as it would not be possible to set the lights to the desired angle, you would have the same issue with your indicators unless you were using something like Lucas pattern ones that have an external locknut.
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

Hi Taid, where did you get your mirrors with the flashers in? :beer:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

On my G11CS I made these adaptors, here in Denmark the law says at least 340mm between the centres of the indicators, one end is screwed in the captive nut in the headlamp and in the other end I made a thread to fit the indicator.
Poul
20220102_161404_1.jpg
20220102_161338_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.