iron barrel ?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Milano

iron barrel ?

Post by Milano »

I have a 1948 18s bottom half complete ,and the only barrel i have is a cast iron one that has a bore of 82.5 mm.
stood on a flat surface it stands at 116mm in height.
It has 11 fins ,of which 6 are cast short on the front (to clear the magneto )? there are no numbers on the barrel other than the letter B .
My question is what year is the barrel from and will it be suitable for this crankcase ?
I am aware that the 1948 engine had an iron barrel and head and was using coil springs .
any help /advice would be very welcome .
dave16mct

Re: iron barrel ?

Post by dave16mct »

They all had cast iron barrells. Only the comp models had alloy barrells. I'm curious about your 1948 18S. This model was only introduced in 1949 and then only for export. Does the barrell fit on the crankcases? Perhaps its a later one, I'm not sure the 48 barrell was cutaway for the mag.
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

Milano wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:47 pm.
It has 11 fins ,of which 6 are cast short on the front (to clear the magneto )? there are no numbers on the barrel other than the letter B .
My question is what year is the barrel from and will it be suitable for this crankcase ?
Sounds like a barrel for an SR1 magneto, fitted from 54 for the 500 single. Not certain about compatability with a 48 crankcase.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

If the barrel fins are cut away to clear the mag. It is from 1950 onwards. For 1948 to 1949 and possibly years before that there was no cut away on the barrel. other than this cut away I think that all of the barrels are the same and it should fit your crank cases OK.