Matchless model identification please

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
G3L1946

Matchless model identification please

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon all,

I’ve just completed my first restoration of a Matchless 1955 G3LS. Sharp learning curve but most rewarding.
My next project is to find, and then restore, a Matchless G3 of the model/ year shown in the photograph. This was my late fathers motorcycle in the 40’s. I just need some help correctly identifying the model and year. I’m pretty sure it’s a 1946 G3L. However, it could be a 47 or 48. Any way of telling or are there any differences? The registration was FVE 262. I appreciate there’s not much of the machine in view but it’s all I’ve got. Anyone point me to someone that has one that needs a good home?
All information much appreciated.

Regards to all,

Snowy North Yorkshire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
les ward

Re: Matchless model identification please

Post by les ward »

FVE 262 was issued in Cambridgeshire between March and August 1947
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Les,

That would make sense. The family comes from Cambridgeshire and, before joining up,
dad lived in a village about 6 miles south of the City.
Thanks,

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The fork sliders are bare alloy in your pic but they were painted black according to factory drawings and the petrol tank lining is different.
(Disclaimer: Not all factory docs were 100% correct).

Here's a factory poster of a '46 G3L

http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... _color.pdf

and a '47

http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... _color.pdf

More under 'Promotional' and 'Pictures' in Christians Archive here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Spriddler & Les,

Thank you for that interesting information with links. Funny how things happen! Just as I ask the question I take a look in an old envelope and find the receipt for it! Purchased on 28th June 1951( later than I thought ) for the princely sum of £75-0-0 from some long closed down garage in Cambridgeshire. Shows as a 1947 350cc Matchless motorcycle. A nice 2d stamp with the sellers signature across it as proof of sale. Now all I have to do is find one to do up!

Thanks all,

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Spriddler & Les,

Thank you for that interesting information with links. Funny how things happen! Just as I ask the question I take a look in an old envelope and find the receipt for it! Purchased on 28th June 1951( later than I thought ) for the princely sum of £75-0-0 from some long closed down garage in Cambridgeshire. Shows as a 1947 350cc Matchless motorcycle. A nice 2d stamp with the sellers signature across it as proof of sale. Now all I have to do is find one to do up!

Thanks all,

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There's a '47 G3L already 'done up' at Klattering Classics........ ;)

http://www.kettering-classics.com/store ... duct=24519
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Spriddler,

Very nice. Afraid pension won’t run to that sort of money and I really get my enjoyment out of the ‘restoration’ side of things ( gets me out the way of jobs the little lady always seems to find me ). However, if I had the money?

Thanks,

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

G3L1946 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:43 pm Hi Spriddler,

Very nice. Afraid pension won’t run to that sort of money and I really get my enjoyment out of the ‘restoration’ side of things.......
I don't have the patience to do restoration. My much-travelled '54 G3LS that I've had for nearly 20 years is cosmetically awful but mechanically totally reliable.

I sold my one previous owner '47 Ajay Model 18 after 6 months' ownership because it was in beautiful condition and I'm not a fit person to look after a 'nice' bike.
100_1330.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,
That certainly looks a smart bike! I’ve got limited patience but unlimited time! So, with a bit of blending, I manage it O.K.
I just find the renovation side relaxing. It allows me to forget all the other c**p that’s going on in the world.
Stay safe,

Steve