Factory air filter on 1961 twin

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
LynP

Factory air filter on 1961 twin

Post by LynP »

Rather a long question I'm afraid about fitting an air filter to my 1961 G12 (not a CSR). I have an air filter as pictured in the factory manual but it is titled for a single. I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the pictures of the heavy weight single and twin filters had the titles in the illustrations the wrong way round, first question is this correct? The filter I have is the one with the short kinked tube. If it is correct for the twin. how is it attached to the frame. Finally does the filter element need removing and oiling or is it used dry. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
McBob

Re: Factory air filter on 1961 twin

Post by McBob »

You are right about the manual, here are pics of my filter.

The internally threaded bolt lines up with the lug hole at the top of the vertical frame tube, the extra bolt in the last pic goes through the frame.

I replaced the filter with filter foam (a cut to size motor cross foam) that needs to be oiled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Thank you McBob, it's good to know I have the correct filter. As for fitting, is it only held on by the top bolt and a rubber tube to the carb, or is there something that goes onto the extension sticking out past the nut on the lower bolt/screw, like a thin bracket? I like the idea of replacing the element with Moto cross foam. Best regards, LynP
McBob

Post by McBob »

I didn't bother with a lower bracket, but here is a link that shows one on a later oil tank.

http://centralcoastclassicmc.com/Sagaof ... filter.htm
LynP

Post by LynP »

Brilliant, exactly what I needed. The article you gave the link to was very clear. Thank you very much for all you help, could not have hoped for more detail. Best regards once again, LynP
McBob

Post by McBob »

Your welcome Lyn, as my bike is back in the naughty corner and it is easy to get a photo of the install to show how well it fits the earlier oil tank.

The carb has a cut down bell mouth and a short length of silicone pipe plus clamp to attach it to the filter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi again, the filter is definitely a snug fit. I held mine in place in the frame yesterday and it looks to fit as yours does, I was concerned about the closeness to the oil tank but I can see yours is the same, so all good. All I have do do now is refurbish it before fitting. I wonder how many twins have these filters fitted now? I have wondered if any twins sold for say police forces may have had them fitted as standard, especially if sold to dusty destinations. I hope your bike has not behaved too badly to have to go to the naughty corner and that it will be running again soon. Thanks again and good riding, Lyn.