Twin Centre Stand Foot Peg

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Twin Centre Stand Foot Peg

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm in the process of restoring the centre stand for my 53 G9:
Centre Stand.png
I've removed the bar that a PO had welded across the feet, can't imagine why this was done :?
I've restored the worn feet by welding on mild steel plates
I've built up the worn down stops with weld and welded on a new proto foot peg.

The bike is in bits and will not be re-built prior to powder coating so I'm hoping someone on here can help me out with photos or measurements of the foot peg as originally fitted to a twin stand. I could try to estimate it from the parts list but am wary of doing this as I know they are not always accurate.
Centre Stand PL.png
My peg is currently just a mild steel bar on the left foot waiting to be bent to shape - your assistance would be greatly appreciated ;) :)

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Samuel

Re: Twin Centre Stand Foot Peg

Post by Samuel »

Mick D wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:46 pm I've removed the bar that a PO had welded across the feet, can't imagine why this was done :?
On the G9 I had, one of the feet legs was twisted round about 45% - so maybe to brace this weak point?
I bought a replacement and all was fine after that.
Sam
Groily

Post by Groily »

Samuel wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:20 pm
Mick D wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:46 pm I've removed the bar that a PO had welded across the feet, can't imagine why this was done :?
On the G9 I had, one of the feet legs was twisted round about 45% - so maybe to brace this weak point?
I bought a replacement and all was fine after that.
I think Sam's probably right - one I replaced with a Rob Swift special rather than try to repair had feet that were almost in a walking posture. A drunken gait too, owing to wear on pivots, pivot stops and feet.
(If anyone actually wants a very tired original off a twin that would probably respond to the superior efforts of a person like Mick D . . . you're very welcome to it!)
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

There is one off a G9 for sale in the adverts section thats in good condition apart from the foot tang being cut down.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Some pix Mick, of tired one off '54 Mod 20, also of OK one on '61 Mod 31. They are pretty similar in this department at least.
Seem to be about 6cm of 'reach' in a sensible curve.
The Mod 20 has been ground right down to a point, the later one still has some 'blunt' on the end.
Diameter starts at about 16mm at 'root' end and tapers slightly to about 13mm with flattish section at outer end (as far as I can measure).
Hope it helps, and see PM I sent earlier . . .

Cheers,
Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
les ward

Post by les ward »

I make my own based on the later stands. These makes them much easier to get on the stand. Attached should be a photo of an arm I am going to use on my next project and the other is of one in place. These are based on the ones for twins, but I have a Siamese system so can't guarantee they will clear the exhaust.