Front brake plate rubbing on brake drum

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

Front brake plate rubbing on brake drum

Post by Invicta »

When assembling the single sided front brake system on my 1949 AJS I found that the chrome cover on the brake back plate is rubbing on the brake drum recess around the edge of the drum. A shim over the spindle against the nut that locates the front brake cover plate would cure this. My parts book shows a washer part number 11913 Washer locating front brake cover plate . The same part number as the Ring retaining the felt washer. This locating washer is missing from my box of bits. My question is where does this washer fit? Does it go under the brake plate on top of the nut, part number 40-G12M-H47, or does it go on the outside of the brake plate under the brake cover plate securing nut? Invicta
SPRIDDLER

Re: Front brake plate rubbing on brake drum

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Have you seen the annotated drawing of the hubs on page 61 and assembly instructions on page 65 of the Owners Manual here?

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

There's a note on page 65 about the location of the brake cover plate.
Brae Cover plate 1949.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Invicta

Re: Front brake plate rubbing on brake drum

Post by Invicta »

Thanks for the information Spriddler. The instruction manuals only seem to show a drawing of the rear wheel. I have been unable to find an exploded view of the front hub anywhere. I was unable to screw the inner nut down far enough on the new bearing spindle to fit a locating washer in. That is due to the thread being too tight towards the end to allow the inner nut to screw right down. I dispensed with the locating washer and screwed the inner nut back up to give the required 1/16" gap and all is well now. Steve from AMC Classic Spares told me that this locating washer is not really necessary anyway. I bought the new wheel bearings from the Vintage Bearing Company and the thread on the front wheel spindle was not cut quite deep enough , making both the inner and outer front brake plate nuts hard to screw on past the first 1/2"