AJS-Burnam gearbox clutch

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Andy Rangecroft

AJS-Burnam gearbox clutch

Post by Andy Rangecroft »

I am helping a friend in Canada build up an AJS 350 from a pile of bits she inherited when her father died. AJS parts aren't easy to come by over there. There is no clutch with the bike but the gearbox is a Burman , GB26A55. This is a 1955 box from a 500 single but should mate up with the engine using the plates we have made. Problem is identifying which clutch fits the output shaft on the box. If I can find this out then I can take one out next time I visit. Well that's the plan! Any help much appreciated. Just for interest it's a 1949 hard tail frame and so will make an interesting Bobber project I hope.
Andy
Reynard24

Re: AJS-Burnam gearbox clutch

Post by Reynard24 »

The obvious answer is that a burman clutch would be the one to fit although I think an amc clutch will also fit with some small modifications - search the forum for these details. The burman clutch is, in my opinion, the better clutch with a much lighter action.
Another point to remember is that whichever clutch is fitted should have a lever with a 7/8” fulcrum distance i.e. the distance between the lever pivot and the nipple centre should be 7/8”, most pattern levers have a greater fulcrum distance which leads to a heavier pull on the lever.
If your friend is in Canada then Mike Partridge at Walridge Motors - see Walridge.com - is the person to talk to for spares and advice,
Andy Rangecroft

Re: AJS-Burnam gearbox clutch

Post by Andy Rangecroft »

Thanks, that's really helpful. Doing this all remotely makes hard work of it. I'll contact Mike Partridge. Andy