6 Hole Rear Wheel sprocket plain washers

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

6 Hole Rear Wheel sprocket plain washers

Post by Invicta »

Can anyone please give me an answer as to where the plain washers go for the 6 bolts that secure the sprocket to the hub of my 1949 model 18. The hub diagram in my BMS book does not show them at all, (only the locking tab washers) Yet they are listed in the 1949 parts book, as STD11 Washer plain sprocket retaining bolt. My question is do they go under the head of the bolt on the inside of the cotton reel , or under the locking tab washers on the inside of the sprocket brake drum. To confuse me even further my 1950 model 18 does not have them under the heads of the bolts yet I have seen photographs on e bay of a rigid framed 5 hole sprocket rear wheel that clearly shows the washers under the heads of the bolts. The radius on the inside of my cotton reel looks as though it will prevent the washers sitting flat if they are put under the head of the bolts anyway. Perhaps the cotton reel hubs
changed when they went from the 6 hole to the 5 hole sprocket.
Rob Harknett

Re: 6 Hole Rear Wheel sprocket plain washers

Post by Rob Harknett »

just a quick reply re parts. You will have to convert to the new part number to find them. For example STD 11 converts to 000011
Rob Harknett

Re: 6 Hole Rear Wheel sprocket plain washers

Post by Rob Harknett »

They did not go from 6 to 5 bolts. Some models of the same year had 6 or 5. When they introduced washer STD 11 ( new pt. no.000011 ) They are not seen as it appears they used old artwork. Later the washers were hidden from view. I think you have answered your own question about washers not laying flat under the bolt head. So they must go on the inside of the drum, so it would be Washer - lock washer - nut.