Transfer varnish

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
G3L1946

Transfer varnish

Post by G3L1946 »

Good morning all,

I’m looking for advice regarding a clear varnish suitable for the water based transfers for the Matchless. Purchased the set from the club and I know that I need an oil based varnish to coat/ protect them once applied. Any particular products recommended? I was thinking of using the Humbrol make used for model aircraft but not sure if suitable. The product labels I’ve looked at are a bit silent as to their make up and if suitable for my intended use.
Just need a few product names to head for.

Regards,

Steve
Rob Harknett

Re: Transfer varnish

Post by Rob Harknett »

Don't varnish. Make sure they go on paint not polish. They will age like paint ages lasting for decades. I have not renewed transfers put on my bikes in the 1980's.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Rob,
So, they won’t have a problem if a splash of petrol accidentally gets onto them? I read that an oil based varnish should be applied to prevent such damage. However, I’ll bow to your experience and just apply and be careful with splashes!

Thanks,

Steve
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Nothing is safe from today's petrol.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I can say for certain that the water slide transfers will most definitely require protection and that Humbrol will indeed be fine for the purpose.

The adhesive is a water based gum and the transfers will soften and simply slide off, ask me how I know this!

Maybe you got lucky Rob. Even with the varnish applied transfer you still have to protect the outer surface with varnish.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi ajscomboman,
Thanks for your advice. Seems that I best go with a varnish and see what transpires in the long run. Apart from the Humbrol ( which seems now to be available only in aerosol) any other suggested brands?
Thanks,

Steve
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Simonize Clear acrylic lacquer or Tekaloid clear lacquer does it for me.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi spookefoote1956,

Thanks for that, will look it up and where to buy from.

Cheers,

Steve
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi, I believe that traditionally artists pale gold size was the way to go, and is what I have used. Perhaps there are other ways to go these days.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:51 pm I can say for certain that the water slide transfers will most definitely require protection and that Humbrol will indeed be fine for the purpose.

The adhesive is a water based gum and the transfers will soften and simply slide off, ask me how I know this!

Maybe you got lucky Rob. Even with the varnish applied transfer you still have to protect the outer surface with varnish.
First transfers I ever used was on a bike I restored in the 80's Rob. I messed up with Gold Size. Had to repaint the tank.
I then just applied the transfers which were covered only with polish. None have ever come off.