Matchless 46 500 frame.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Steve64

Matchless 46 500 frame.

Post by Steve64 »

Hi everyone I hope you are all well, I was wondering if someone can shed some light on weather the rear frame section on my bike is correct. I recently purchased some new rear stand bolts from AMC and was about to put the rear stand on the frame but have run into a problem.
On one side of the frame the hole is threaded which seems to be a different thread to the bolts and the other side has no thread but is too small for the bolt. Is it possible I may have the wrong rear frame section. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have attached some photos which may help with the identification. The bike is a 1946 500.
Thanks for any help, Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: Matchless 46 500 frame.

Post by clive »

The frame looks to be AMC but I think it is later than 46 which according to the parts list was the same as the 41 WD frame. The pointers I see are the threaded hole for sidecar mounting, the pillars for a coil Spring type seat Spring (yours would have no pillar but the springs would have an eye at the bottom mounting)
It is also possible the slot for the rear spindle is larger but it's hard to tell, later rigids had a thicker spindle. The rigid rear frames were made up to 55 but the length of them differed amongst other things. I suspect the rear stand bolt hole has been re threaded, not unusual as a loose bolt and tired Spring can wear away the thread as the stand bumps up and down over potholes.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Does the rear frame have a number stamped on the right hand side, at the top, on the flat, where the joining bolts nut is ?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Surely you can thread the smaller hole to fit the bolt. The larger hole can be bushed to fit.
Dave.
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

I would love to use and modify frame if I can but looking at pics since I have recently researched, last 10 hours , l have also found that the front stand mount is in a different position as well as the seat lugs and who knows what else. It seems that I have a 1949 frame from what I have just discovered . I have had this for over 30 years and have looked at and passed by many at swap meets thinking that I don't need them . Very frustrating. Now they are 10 times the price.
Thank you for all of the responses, now to find the correct one.
Cheers everyone, Steve.
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Will check the number Rob. Thanks
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Hi Rob, there is no number I can fin on the frame except A6 and A12 on the pillion foot peg mount.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Steve64 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:44 pm Hi Rob, there is no number I can fin on the frame except A6 and A12 on the pillion foot peg mount.
Not all 40's era frames had numbers on the rear half, which would have been identical to the front half.
Rear half numbers got damaged with score marks by nuts / washers / rust.
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Thanks for your help Rob, greatly appreciated.