Thread size please

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

Re: Thread size please

Post by Taid »

When using a thread gauge, be aware that Whitworth has a 55 degree thread angle and Cycle thread is 60 degrees, so a Whitworth gauge is not an exact match to Cycle thread, and will show a consistent gap at each tooth
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Matchbox Kid

Post by Matchbox Kid »

Mick
Use format cells to change from whatever they are set to to text, that should stop them changing to dates.
However, you may find the data is corrupted once you change them and you may need to manually re enter the correct data once you have set them to text.
Paul
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_list.xls
Open this file, go to the bottom line on the file and click on PARTS LIST 1953_1955
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Paul

I can format the cells but was wondering if there was a way to convert the data within back to original - there's a significant number of them, (hundreds :( ).

Do other users see the same substitution of date for numbers, or is this just something with my set up?

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:41 pm Thanks Paul

I can format the cells but was wondering if there was a way to convert the data within back to original - there's a significant number of them, (hundreds :( ).

Do other users see the same substitution of date for numbers, or is this just something with my set up?

Regards Mick
I do not see any part numbers with a year date instead of the part no. Mick. There are 3 part number columns.J. K & L First shows old part numbers, second shows the old number converted to the new part number. The 3rd L shows if the new pt. no. has been given yet another new part number. This column being " Same as " AMC used that wording in parts lists, where numbers had been updated. Only old parts that are still in use post 1951 will convert to a new part number. 100's of old part numbers do start with the last 2 digits of the year of introduction. 38, 39, 40,41, etc. Columns go from A to O so make sure you scroll across to see all columns. If this is not the problem I can only think it is the device or excel version you are using, is the cause of seeing the file as not being correct.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Mick D - Excel has a significant problem in dealing with dates and I have previously (for work purposes) spent a lot of time on it.

I've just downloaded and opened the file that Rob H linked to and the part numbers are all numbers.

I'll PM you my email address and you could send the file to me and I'll take a look. Or send me the location you downloaded from and I'll give it a go. Matchbox Kid's comment holds true but the benefit of the spreadsheet is all the part numbers are there, the hard labour is done.

Johnny B
Matchbox Kid

Post by Matchbox Kid »

I hand typed both a 1951 and 1954 parts list into Excel for my own restorations, it comes with description and part numbers etc, it's only for a G80s but if it helps, I would mail you a copy, just let me know if it's any use to you.
I agree with Johnny B, Excel and dates are a nightmare and I find downloaded files often corrupt the data and you need to retype the cells again.
Hope this helps
Paul