1956 Matchless 350

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1956 Matchless 350

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The spring adjustment given in manuals is largely a starting point when setting up a reassembled clutch. It is not necessarily the best adjustment but is given to ensure that you start off with each spring applying the same force. Ideally you want just enough tension on the springs (to prevent clutch slip) as this will result in the lightest action at the h/bar lever. If your clutch isn't slipping I doubt very much that spring pressure is causing the rattling.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Is the rattling simply a sign that the new plates, presumably assembled dry, are freeing off properly and chattering inside the basket? The slots in the clutch basket are probably by now noticeably wider than the tangs on the clutch plates allowing more movement. Ive had this on a couple of clutches Ive rebuilt - its gradually disappeared over time, I expect as the plates pick up a little oil and drag just enough to stop it. If everything works as it should and the pressure plate isnt catching the chaincase when the clutch is operated, I wouldnt worry about it yet.
Occasional grating going in to first gear - or others if changes are rushed - isnt unusual and varies between boxes. A low tickover speed when engaging first helps. Unless it's a modern BMW box of course :shock:

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Greybeard wrote: ↑Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:27 am Is the rattling simply a sign that the new plates, presumably assembled dry, are freeing off properly and chattering inside the basket?
Indeed. That's what prompted my question:
SPRIDDLER wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:24 pm
Have you replaced the outer primary cover and oil? If not that suppresses much of the 'normal' chattering which will be be there to some degree.

but no answer given.
Ezmerelda1

Post by Ezmerelda1 »

Hi every one. Thanks for the help. I've come to the conclusion with your views it probably is the plates wearing in? Now it's just the occasional crunch going into gears that really make me wince. Is it me or the bike?? πŸ‘
clive

Post by clive »

I have never managed to get a Burman B52 box crunch free on engaging first by comparison I can get a CP box totally silent. Worth checking that the spring pressure plate is lifting exactly flat by sighting it against a fixed point or attaching a pointer. Usually it requires winding some of the springs in or out. Only adjust by 1/4 of a turn each time, and perhaps an 1/8 of a turn on the ones either side.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

clive wrote: ↑Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:47 pm I have never managed to get a Burman B52 box crunch free on engaging first
Hi

I think this may be down to it being a wet clutch, the B52, (GB), gearbox on my Ariel FH selects first from starting crunch free, however the clutch is dry. The clutch is also free after months of inactivity.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Nine times out of ten my B52 has crunched a bit when selecting 1st gear. In fact when I've been queuing to leave on section and Jampot rally runs the sound of 1st being selected by those around me has been commonplace and part of the departure hustle and excitement. How we all must be missing the Jampot rallies.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

+1 for the rallies and echo the comments about B52 crunch from first. Even the XJ600 Yamaha sometimes crunches from first if I forget to disengage the clutch and blip the throttle a couple of times after first start up.

Johnny B