Chronometric trip meter reset

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Trefor

Chronometric trip meter reset

Post by Trefor »

I have a Smith chromatic speedo ( 0 in the 8 o'clock position) without the reset knob ( it has a trip meter). There is a slot on the side which I assume the reset fits in. Can I fit a reset knob without have the whole unit stripped down?
clive

Re: Chronometric trip meter reset

Post by clive »

Are you sure it's chronometric, should have a number on the face starting s or sc. If it is then the speedo should have a shaft projecting through that hole which will be pierced at the end to allow a split pin to retain the knob. If the shaft is missing then the works have to come out of the case. If you are lucky you will just need the shaft, if you are unlucky it will be a bodged up bottom reset speedo and you will need more parts. You don't have to take the rest of the speedo apart to fit but getting it all back in the case requires removing the two bottom screws on the face if they are present. If it is an unbodged speedo there should only be two screws at the top.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

This is the part if it is missing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393306368557 . I dont have these but if you need other parts PM me or i will have to tell myself off for advertising on the forum.
clive
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Thanks for the reply Clive. It's a SC.5301/20 1440 on a 1953 G9. My other bike has the reset under the unit with the shaft emerging from the head lamp shell. This one is on the side. I can see cog through the slot. The shaft on eBay looks like the one for underneath the unit. As I don't know how to dissemble the speedo, I will just have to remember how far I've gone and abide by your maxim.
clive

Post by clive »

I can assure you the shaft on ebay was correct for the side trip but its too late now anyway, its ended!
clive
clive

Post by clive »

And here it is on one of my speedos. Incidentally if the ratio of your speedo is indeed 1440 it will over-read by 7% so your G9 may not be as speedy as you thought. :roll:
20210721_105647.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive