new design chaincase seal

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
anthony kosecki

new design chaincase seal

Post by anthony kosecki »

Just received a new design chaincase seal (thank you AMOC Spares - great service). When fitting, does one need to use wellseal?
dave16mct

Re: new design chaincase seal

Post by dave16mct »

No, but you may need a washer or two on the centre stud. Also you usually need to shorten it a bit.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

And don't forget check the oil regularly. Water will get in the chain case, having sealed it, the water will not seep out. Chains, clutch and bearings will not like rusty oil.
anthony kosecki

Post by anthony kosecki »

Gents, thanks for the advice. Hmmm, perhaps there's something to be said for a leaky chaincase after all.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

You're joking (I hope) there's nothing good about a leaky chaincase. Fit the new seal and fill it until it just touches the very bottom of the primary chain. It won't leak and no water will enter unless you ride very slowly through a very deep ford.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I guess you never rode an AJS or Matchless every day back in the 50's / 60's Dave. Plenty of times I had water in the chain case. The only reason you do not get water in the chain case now, is because the bike is in the garage. I had to ride through flooded roads on my way to work. You have less chance of having to ride through a flooded road now. Expect water in your chain case if you do. If you had to ride on the road to work in the picture below, you would need to know where the road is. I think you were a 12 year old when I had to get to work through that water.
Glen Faba 1964.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Well that's what I said, don't ride it through deep water! The only time I had water in the chaincase was when we were flooded out with 15" of water through the house and shed.
Dave.