clutch & primary chain

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
anthony kosecki

clutch & primary chain

Post by anthony kosecki »

Following recent posts and some very helpful advice I have assembled the clutch. I always believed it to be a wet clutch but have just read the manual which says to apply fullers earth to the plates to remove oil. Given the primary chain swims in oil and that this gets thrown around inside, how do I prevent it gettiing onto the plates?
Secondly, are the clutch roller bearings meant to be packed with grease prior to assembly (recent post) - with all that oil being thrown around doesn't that provide more than sufficient lubrication? Dazed and confused (no I'm not quoting led zepp).
Stay safe,
Tony
Mick D

Re: clutch & primary chain

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It's a damp clutch ;) ;)

The chain runs in oil which it should just touch, this flings an oil mist around the primary case which lubricates the roller bearing and other moving parts inside. Centrifugal forces and friction keep the clutch plates relatively oil free.

If the bike wet sumps and engine oil enters the PCC the clutch can end up running in oil and getting saturated / slipping. When this happens you may need to clean the plates but in this day and age I'd use a solvent such as brake cleaner, not fuller's earth.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Don't get too confused, the clutch is a wet clutch the oil is there to keep the chain lubed and cool also to lube the clutch rollers. They are only packed with grease on assembly to hold them in place on the inner race before the basket goes over. The mention of Fullers Earth is for drying out when being serviced prior to reassembly or if they have been over oiled due to wet sumping and filling the chaincase.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick D wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:31 pm Hi

It's a damp clutch ;) ;)

The chain runs in oil which it should just touch, this flings an oil mist around the primary case which lubricates the roller bearing and other moving parts inside. Centrifugal forces and friction keep the clutch plates relatively oil free.

If the bike wet sumps and engine oil enters the PCC the clutch can end up running in oil and getting saturated / slipping. When this happens you may need to clean the plates but in this day and age I'd use a solvent such as brake cleaner, not fuller's earth.

Regards Mick

SNAP!!!!!
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes don't be Dazed and confused because there's a Whole Lotta Love on this Forum. We do Ramble On occasionally and the bikes can be a Heartbreaker but have a coffee, take the Black Dog for a walk then take the Stairway to heaven, better than the Gallows Pole anyday.....
Dave. (Led Zep fan, obviously) :D
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Wot Dave said:

No need for fuller's earth unless the levee breaks
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Off topic - I'd rather listen to The Groundhogs - Daze of the Weak (on Blues Obituary). In fact, The Groundhogs full stop. I know Led Zepp had a massive following (including a pal of mine who played them to me a lot) but they never did it for me.

Johnny B
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Johnny, you're wierd! You'll be telling us you're a Hawkwind fan next....err
Dave :lol:
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Must be before my time What is FULLERS EARTH
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

As per Google search...
Fuller's Earth can be used to decontaminate skin after nerve agent and other exposure. Fuller's Earth resembles clay in texture and form, but it is actually a superabsorbent form of aluminum silicate. Mostly composed of silica, magnesium, iron, and aluminum, it has been used for centuries to absorb dirt and oil.
Sam