Fitting a Lodge spark plug cap

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
G3L1946

Fitting a Lodge spark plug cap

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi all,

I found a Lodge spark plug cap ( made of Bakerlite or similar material) in my father’s box of bits and want to fit this in place of the generic ‘rubbery one’ currently fitted. My question is, I’m assuming that the small copper tang (circled ) is located ( pushed ) into the cable core. The clamps then pressed, to secure the cap, around the outer black insulation cable. No cutting or folding back of cable.
Am I correct?

Thanks,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Fitting a Lodge spark plug cap

Post by Rob Harknett »

I'm sure the metal tang is threaded, just screw the cap on to the lead. The clip you have is an alternative to the cap. You bare some of the lead wire, bend it back, insert the lead. The small end goes on the plug a large dia knurled nut holds the clip on the plug. Below is an example of another manufacturers wire clip design. Also type of knurled nut to hold it on the plug. I assume you want to use the cap.
Ashampoo_Snap_08 July 2021_16h25m01s_001_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Rob,
I’m not sure I have given the full explanation of this fitting. The copper clip has actually been removed from inside the cap so it is part of the unit. Its removal, by me, was to examine how the HT lead should be connected. There are no other parts to this assembly.
The tang is not threaded but just has a semi sharp point.

Thanks for your reply, any subsequent thoughts?

Regards,

Steve
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

As long as that tang goes into the copper core it will be ok. Id still be tempted to bare some of the core and bend it back under the clip though. Ive never felt that that type of cap makes a good connection to the plug. They do tend to go a bit sloppy once theyve been on and off a few times. I usually stick with the non-resistor NGK caps which have the screw to go into the HT lead, but understand the attraction of using an older one ;)

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the connection issue so did wonder if it was the right way to go. I decided to use it as it’s contemporary with the machine. If it plays up, I’ll swap it back!

P.S. whereabouts in the East of the county are you, roughly. I was looking for a local club, I understand the nearest to me is over by Driffield,

Regards,

Steve
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I live between Cottingham and Beverley and had been landed with the Chairman's job of the East Yorkshire Section. We are looking to have a first small meeting at The Bell in Driffield next month. Restricted numbers to see how it goes - we've been given the dining room at the pub so theres plenty of room to spread out.
For a less formal meeting, quite a few of us gather at the Tea Pot outdoor cafe on the Fimber roundabout near Sledmere on a Friday lunctime. If you fancy a jaunt by all means pop over. We dont take life too seriously ;)
PM me for any further details.

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,
Won’t take space up here as maybe not appropriate.
Will send a PM in due course.

Regards,

Steve